Donovan Frankenreiter -Singing surfer

After a not-so-lazy-Sunday day (more about that tomorrow), I still had to last for an extra special Sunday night. To mark the closing of the Skate & Surf Festival that had been on in  Munich over the week, they imported the coolest surfer of them all. The coolest because not only does he surf, he sings too! "Him" being the one and only Donovan Frankenreiter...


I had tried to organise a group of us to go, but I don't think Germans really know (or appreciate) a singing surfer, so it ended up being myself, my other friend Sarah and her boyfriend Dani. 


Having been out with these two before and knowing they weren't one of these couples that can't speak or think without consistently referring to themselves as "we", and that they are slightly crazy (in a fun way!) I wasn't worried about being the third wheel. But when I got a message from my NZ friend Lindsay who I used to study Spatial Design with, to say that she had arrived in Munich the night before, I knew she had to come check out the singing surfer with us!

And so she did! Clearly I was stoked.
Because it ended up being a bit of a rush to locate Lindsay and make it to the concert in time to get a ticket at the door, of course I forgot my camera! :( 

These photos are courtesy of Dani's phone, and he got some good shots, but unfortunately the definition just isn't comparable...



You get an idea of how close we were! Sarah and Dani were actually quite a bit to the left of us, so Linds and me were just in front of him.


We girls agreed, that old Donovan is a bit of a silver fox! Apparently surfing really does keep your tush tight...errr I mean keep you young at heart!


Unfortunately he didn't play this song from his new album Start Livin' which I had been listening to on repeat: 


But he more than made up for it with his encore performance of "It Don't Matter". Midway through the song, he spontaneously asked someone to come up on stage to help him sing it. An unassuming young man jumped up, and Lindsay's last words to me before he started were "I hope he's not shit". Well this guy was anything but shit, he was extraordinary! I wish a million times over that I had got it on camera, because he rocked the chorus with Donny like nobody's business! In the end the singing surfer grabbed the newly born star and dragged him backstage. And that, ladies and gentlemen is how Mr. Frankenreiter rolls. Such a dude.

Sarah, Dani, Linds and me returned home brimming with endorphins (well I was!) and I had a most restful sleep after Lindsay wished me dreams filled with...


Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

  1. Just found your post about the concert! It was soooo amazing!!! I like how you are checking out Munich and the way you write is very sweet-very you :) Hopefully see again you soon!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts