A whirlwind week, Cole & Porter and the Kiwi connection

Last week was a total whirlwind. I had completed my Postgraduate Diploma in Publishing a couple of weeks prior and was on the hunt for my first "real job". Since I'm still in love with Munich and have so much yet to discover, I wasn't ready for this job to be back in New Zealand just yet. Furthermore, I had already decided that all the publishing jobs that were on offer were just a tad too boring! 

Upon my arrival in Munich I had stumbled across a PR/Marketing/Events company in my 'hood. Since I really couldn't bring myself to even write an application (convincingly!) for any of the publishing jobs but could imagine myself in a "social media/PR" role, I figured you don't get if you don't ask, and wrote them a somewhat cheeky cover letter, suggesting they should meet Fräulein SoulFood. I didn't hear back.

However I quite liked the idea of this social media/PR business now (just knowing how much I enjoy writing this bloglet!), so I did some more research and found another very cool company, that was also in the business of PR, but rather focused on events. They also had internships on offer so I sent another pretty cheeky cover letter last Thursday afternoon. On Monday I got a call inviting me for an interview, I cried. From going to the hopelessness I had felt of having no idea of where to go after finishing uni, whether I had any chance of getting any kind of employment in Germany, to scoring an interview with this company! I guess the saying should go, you don't get if you don't keep asking.

But because I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket, I still made a follow up call to the first company, who reckoned they were still collecting applications. "Oh well!" I thought, I'll focus on acing the interview I already had locked in for Tuesday first. 

Tuesday came, and ten minutes prior to the interview the first company rang me back to compliment me on my application and ask when I could come in for an interview! I couldn't believe it. Most people send out tens of applications, and never hear back, and I had sent out two and got two interviews, 100% success rate WHOOP! 

Despite the fact that I had never had a formal interview, let alone in German and I had three interviewers, the first interview went really well. But of course you never can tell what they are really thinking...So I just celebrated the fact that I got through it without getting stumped. I knew nobody better than my Kiwi friend Lindsay to celebrate this small success with! 

We checked out a bistro/bar that I had been observing (/Facebook stalking) since my arrival in Munich. Cole & Porter, named after the Jazz composer Cole Porter, is the new gastronomic-baby of the guy that founded 'Dean & David', and his partner that also owns a PR firm (I discovered this after, kind of weird coincidence). The Dean & David franchises have spread like a seasonal-salad wildfire accross Germany. While Dean & David focuses on "healthy food to go", Cole & Porter invites you to take a seat in their internal courtyard, next to their self-labelled UFO (that stone garden island) and enjoy a cocktail or five from their extensive list.




Okay we didn't quite get to five...After all, I had my second interview the following day, so as much as mischievous Lindsay tried to tempt me to taste test the entire cocktail menu, we decided to line our stomachs after the first "Day 'n' Night" (white wine aperitif with Lillet Blanc), after having spent 20 minutes perusing the cocktail menu!

Since Linds is a GF gal, she opted for the 'Smoked Salmon Tatar',

'Smoked salmon tatar'  7,60 Euro
While I was craving potatoes as I don't tend to cook these for myself. So I got excited about my herby roast potatoes with herb 'Quark' (kind of like sour cream) and salad.

Herby potatoes with herb quark and salad 8,90 Euro
It was tasty, but I think it's quite pricey for what you get. That's the pity about having worked in hospitality, you know how much things cost to produce...But no matter, we ordered another round of Day 'n' Night, (or was it Nigh 'n' Day?...) and continued our well overdue catch up!

Cheers Linds!

And decided that the central setting and Jazzy details would have us back to try some more of the cocktail menu...



How the second interview went, and the whirlwind week continued, you'll find out tomorrow!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts