A somewhat made up 'Summer pick-me-up'

Hello hello! I trust your week has been going splendidly?! Mine has been "oh so so"...Sooo I decided to reminisce about last weekend in preparation for this weekend.

Autumn has, as much as it kills me to put it in black on white, arrived. I have had my first trans-seasonal flu and been waking up to a mere 10 degrees each morning! As much as I love all the seasons, I'm just not just ready to let Summer go... :( 

There are still so many things I wanted to do! London, a trip to Greece, even just chilling in the mountains some more, cycling and long, mild nights in the Biergarten. Well, I managed a single night in the Biergarten, and it was so short notice that I had already eaten and couldn't even indulge in any of the Bavarian specialities!

Ah well, no point in dwelling...There'll be another Summer. I hope. I ain't done here yet! :) So in an attempt to pro-long the season and indulge in the last of the fruits of Summer, I made a very berry dessert to celebrate the gift from Jules Mumm.

I wont call this a recipe, since I don't really have any measurements to give you, I just kind of chucked it all together and fortunately for me it worked out, so instead this is un "recipoi", designed for inspiration...

I had planned to make a 'Tiramisu' when I first arrived in Munich, which I never got round to doing, so I had ladyfingers a plenty to use up. (Very) roughly crumble the ladyfingers into a baking tray, baking dish of some sort, however much you want to end up with really. As you can see, you can really man-handle them.



If you are observant, you will have also spotted the 'Amaretto'. This was left over from some previous inhabitant of this flat...Don't worry I tested it, to check it wasn't some dodgy home-brewed concotion. Pretty sure alcohol can't go off either, of that percentage anyway. Right? 

So once you have bought, or found, yourself some 'Amaretto', you may (also very) generously dribble this over the ladyfingers. Really show them who's boss and give them a good dose to soak in! I had to think of my "adopted Kiwi Gran" here, because she doesn't like alcohol in her desserts, but trust me, all you'll be able to taste is hazelnut. And you're halfway there already! 



Next you grab some quark, -for the Kiwis, unfortunately this is not yet readily available in NZ supermarkets, but you could just as well use mascarpone. Add a splash of cream to loosen it up a little and mix it all together.



Slice open a couple of vanilla pods and add their seedy black contents into the mix.



Then you gotta whip it! Whip it good! Until silky...



Of course the heroes of this dish are the berries. So pop 'em in! But not all of them, since you'll want some to feature on top.



Hmmm...I have to admit, at this stage I was quite ready to forget about those ladyfingers and tempted to just dig into this as it was. But I do have some self-discipline! So on I went...



Gently folding the berries into their creamy rapture.



If you have managed to restrain yourself thus far, and not forgotten about the ladyfingers soaking in their hazelnutty alcohol bath, it's time to blanket the ladies! And hey presto! You got yourself a stunner 'Summer pick-me-up'!



Best enjoyed with a couple of girlfriends, straight out of the dish, washed down with some crisp, dry champagne or...Jules Mumm. :)



The best thing about this dessert? It gets better with age. So if your guests, friends or yourself haven't gobbled it up in one go, you can smugly continue stuffing your face with it the next day and know you're getting the optimal flavours.



Which is of course, exactly what I did.

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts