Let them eat cake!

Today at lunch, there was drama. I am currently staying with my aunty, uncle and two cousins. For an only-child, suddenly having to live with my two brothers-from-another-mother is a slight adjustment to say the least. 

Don't get me wrong, I love them to pieces and they really are like the brothers I always wished for (although I imagined I'd have an older brother, and he'd have hot friends...), but they are a bit crazy. Maybe it runs in the family?...For example, last night after dinner my younger, music-buff cousin DJ'd while we turned the kitchen into an impromptu dance floor, and my aunty and uncle busted out the Jive. It was brilliant! 

But back to lunch today. Both my aunty and uncle work, however my aunty was due to come home for lunch. My older cousin and I were responsible for cooking, or rather preparing Spaghetti with their ready-made sauce...Turns out we are not a compatible cooking duo. As a male (yes I am going to make a sweeping generalisation here!) he is not the best communicator, and didn't specify what time my aunty would be coming home...Hence I only cooked half the pasta, thinking my aunty wouldn't mind cooking the rest of the pasta when she did. Half the pasta I cooked already ended up in the sink after my cousin's attempt to drain it, because "Fuck that's hot!". Another trait that runs in the family, is severe aggression due to hunger. So when my aunty came home prematurely and found there was no pasta left for her...Drama!

In any case, there wasn't enough for the four of us, so we had to find an alternative. This alternative would be, cake. In no country I have ever visited, which have been quite a few, have I ever seen so great a selection of cakes, or rather tortes. It is common for Germans, more so the ladies of leisure to meet for a Kaffeklatsch, essentially like afternoon tea. But this doesn't just involve some biccies and a cuppa, no, no, no! It becomes a competition as to who comes bearing the greatest torte-masterpiece! For those not blessed with Bree Van de Kamp baking skills, there is, thankfully the bakery. 

Not saying we can't bake, but we were definitely pushed for time, as we didn't want to risk another explosion...So we loaded up at the bakery:


Left to right: Cherry-Baileys torte, Baked cheesecake, Strawberry roulade and a slice of Tiramisu.
My Cherry-Baileys baby!
To my utter delight the bakery also sold Capri-Sonne/Sun! For those of you who have never had one; you haven't lived. I grew up on Capri-Sonne, finding one tucked into my lunchbox every day. I don't know if it is the actual taste or that you are essentially drinking out of a silver pouch that you can proceed to blow up and pop repeatedly...

Obviously this lunch needed burning off, and since the sun was out (again!) my aunty and I decided to go for another run. An 8.6km run to be exact. Heck I may have to enter a half marathon at this rate!

That's all for today!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x


Comments

  1. OMG haven't a capri-sonne in so long. I'm in the hunt now. Disappointed you didn't have my fav flavour; orange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I think I may have seen them at Countdown once Ray?...Oh but cherry is MY fave! And orange would've totally clashed with the Baileys creme!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts