'Cabbage Patch Kids' -another weekend in Austria

Hej hej! :) Nooo that isn't a spelling mistake...I'm just continuing my "Swedishness" after a wee trip to Stockholm! 

Of course I will be updating you all about that soon, just waiting for all the images to get to me before I pick the cream of the crop to upload. In the meantime though, Papa left on Wednesday to join Mama back in New Zealand. I wanted him to go, since I was getting worried about Mama all by herself over there, but of course I was also sad since we had had such a fun weekend, well as fun as you can make a weekend with the grandparentals...

The main reason for our visiting Oma and Opa was that it was Oma's birthday on Monday. As I have already mentioned, this Oma is a bit of a perfectionist. I just had to take a picture of the breakfast table, because it totally proved my point.

This was Papa and my morning set-up:


Okay so we did have matching plates, but the rest of our spread is quite "casually assorted"...

This was Oma's spread:


See how it's all matchy-matchy, impressive huh?! We enjoyed it.

Since Oma spent most of the time in the kitchen while we were visiting (I think she was trying to cause "death by food over-consumption"), we decided to go out for lunch on her birthday. We had a typical Austrian/Bavarian dish, 'Semmelknoedel in Pfifferling Gulash'.


A dumpling, in a slightly spicy, creamy mushroom sauce. Very tasty, but not the lightest of meals. The dumpling was the size of my two fists. 

Of course Fräulein SoulFood can never get enough though, and I was determined to also squeeze in a portion of the 'Kaiserschmarn':

Kaiserschmarrn or in German Kaiserschmarren ("Kaiser", meaning "emperor", and "Schmarren", "nonsense" in Austrian German and etymologically related to the English term "smear") is a well-known Austrian dessert, popular in the former Austria–Hungary as well as in Bavaria.

I had already seen the portion and knew I wouldn't be able to finish it all by myself, so I ordered a portion "for the table"...

You know you want some!
Really I ended up eating most of it, no one else got much of a chance to help me. That night I just couldn't even force myself to have dinner. I. Was. So. Full.

In a futile attempt to burn some of the thousands of calories we had consumed, we went for a wander up the mountain the next day. Along the way Papa discovered some magical leaves, that were to provide a great source of entertainment...


And we pretended to be Cabbage Patch Kids.


 I think Papa was especially successful at this, thanks to his lack of hair! :) 


I'd heard they are also thinking of adding Cabbage Patch Dumbos to the range...


After enough silliness, we introduced ourselves (sans-giant leaves!) to our new neighbour.

'Foley' the foal.
And finished the day with more dumplings (hence why the 2 1/2 hour hike was futile!)...


As you can see, these were spinach dumplings and the best so far, since they had a cheesy centre, and anything with a surprise centre scores extra points in my books.

After two further days of over-eating in Stockholm I am starting to resemble a dumpling myself, so the Fräulein is taking it easy this week. Wish me luck!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts