Summer night jam session with Tom & Flo

Last night I had another very pleasant distraction. My friend Sarah's (Julia's sister) fiancé Tom plays in a band. A band of two (sometimes three). His main-bandmate is Flo, and together they are Tom & Flo! 

Tom & Flo were the feature act at a street festival in the city of Augsburg, Bavaria's third largest city. 


Don't these look like a painting out of a picture book?!
The festival is called 'La Strada', and features a mishmash of "street artists". Sarah and I arrived around 8pm and a cheerleading group was just finishing up, while a "circus" duo arrived. 



They took an age to set up, and then they spent forever juggling...this was about as impressive as it got (juggling under the leg), and their kind of "stupid/slapstick" humor just wasn't mine...We got a bit bored and since Tom & Flo weren't due to play until 10:30pm met up with Augsburg local Kathi for a drink instead! 


You can probably tell which one Kathi is if I tell you she spent the day sunbathing at the lake?... :)
On Thursday morning after having gone out with my German uni friends, I had a super sore tummy. I had only had a couple of glasses of 'Hugo' (prosecco with elderflower syrup) so I definitely didn't have a hangover, but I think my body just doesn't seem to cope with it anymore...ahhhh I'm getting ooooold! :( Or maybe I just need more practice???... :)  

Last night wasn't the night though, I just wasn't in the mood for something alcoholic, so instead I tried something that is supposedly good for my tummy, the Carpe Diem 'Kombucha'. According to Wiki 'Kombucha' is (apart from being fun to say!): 


An effervescent fermentation of sweetened tea that is used as a functional food. Sometimes referred to as a "mushroom", "shroomies" or the acronym "SCOBY", the kombucha culture is actually a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast.


I remember Mama going through a bit of a phase with this back when we used to live in Frankfurt and something very similar to this regularly grew in our fridge:



Delightful huh?! I mean I have mentioned Mama being the "Queen of Mould", (she's actually not that bad!) but I was actually scared of opening the fridge and seeing this! 

Yesterday however there was none of this algae like film in sight, only a nicely bottled liquid with 'quince' flavour. A pleasantly refreshing alternative to alcohol indeed.

After more "circus" type acts (that we chatted through)...






Tom & Flo finally took to the stage!




Tom & Flo.
Tom plays the contrabass, or rather plucks it, while Flo plays the guitar and is the main vocalist, last night they also had Harry on percussion. I had only heard Tom play in another band which was more "folky", while Tom & Flo play new interpretations of the 60's, as well as their own material. This is their single, also the name of their album 'Tom & Flo: We Are One' (you can imagine Sarah, Tom's fiancé isn't so stoked about the title...)!


Unfortunately I couldn't get the video I made of them uploaded...but let me tell you, they rocked the crowd! At first, everyone was still a bit hesitant to get up for a boogie, until this guy got up...



It seems he was there by himself, but that didn't stop him! Again, I only have this crappy photo of him because he totally owned the make-shift dancefloor with his moves! He didn't care he was by himself. He wanted to dance, so he did! Such people inspire me. 

And apparently he infected other with his joy for movement since a few more joined him...



...and a few more still...



Until more people were on their feet than on their butts! It made me so happy. Tom & Flo were pleased also, and as a thanks to the guy that got it all started, they gifted him a copy of their album. Naaaaaw... 

The gig finished at midnight, but of course there were albums to be sold, and autographs to be handed out, so the groupies (Sarah and me) hung around. It was 1:30am by the time we made our way to the car, parked at the school that Tom works at as a music teacher (like all good musicians!). Turns out this is the same school that my Mama went to! Tom's dad was Mama's music teacher already, and now Tom is continuing the tradition. The world is such a small place.

Like a lot of creative types, Tom isn't the most organised, or shall we say he prefers "organised chaos". Judge for yourself, he was trying to find his car keys... :)



Sarah and I waited like patient students.



We got there in the end and made our way back to Munich. I already had a sweet slumber on the contrabass that I was tucked in with in the back of the car.

More musical goodness tomorrow...

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts