Boisterous boys

Since I had been missing M & P SoulFood and Saturday hit with a whopping 34 degrees, I knew the only place for me to be, would be chilling with my aunty, uncle and cousins at their pool.

Friday night had been long, so I was rather looking forward to a snooze by the pool. As soon as I arrived however, I realised that wouldn't be happening since my younger cousin (15) had his boisterous boys over...

Initially I wasn't even keen to head into the water since they were kicking the football into the pool apparently trying to hit each other...as boys do...but after a slice of cake and iced coffee on the terrace, it just got too hot.


I wasn't really in the mood to be knocked out in the pool, so I suggested a round of water-volleyball. We set up a makeshift "net"/rope and began the competition, team 'Family' vs. team 'Friends'!


Team 'Family' was too busy posing, so we lost...
Two hours, and an added member to each team later we decided we should probably take a break...Water-volleyball is hard work, especially when you have to do a tribal scream after every point (mostly the boys...)! 

Although it was already 6pm it was still too hot for anything cooked to be consumed, so salad was on the menu. Not your usual leafy greens however, we had boys to please after all! So instead, my aunty had prepared a Bavarian-style spread. 


This included homemade bread rolls, sausage-salad, knoedel-salad (made from cold leftover dumplings), 'Obatzda' (Bavarian cheese spread speciality), Turkish 'Obatzda' (we have a lot of Turkish people in Bavaria, so it counts!), and 'Radi' (Bavarian version of a radish).

As my favourite uncle showed me, there is a particular way to cut the Radi. 


You have this little tool that screws into the Radi, and as you turn it a fine spiral is created...



Ta da!...sexy huh?! I didn't wanna miss out on the spiral making, so I had a go too...


It really was fun, but unfortunately no amount of spiraling will get me to love Radi...It just doesn't really have a flavour. If anything I would describe the taste like grassy-water...refreshing perhaps, but tasty?! Not in the Fräulein's world! Guess I'm not a true Bavarian after all...

Thankfully the boys were too tired to really tuck into the meal, so more was left for me! :)


And I stuffed myself with the cool vinegary knoedel/dumpling salad, before embarking on my next adventure...

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

PS: I had sore muscles in my lower arms for the following two days, I couldn't determine whether from the volleyball or spiraling...

Comments

Popular Posts