Chris de Burgh to Lüneburg

I promised mostly photos didn't I? Maybe (just!) this time I lied...Sorry strangers reading this, but I have been uploading so many photos via Facebook that I simply do not have the patience to spend another three hours uploading them here. But they will be posted soon! In the meantime however another written update.

The 18th was Mama's birthday. On the night of her birthday her "Irish teddybear" Chris de Burgh, who's fan she has been for years, played in Hamburg. Initially she wasn't even sure whether she should get tickets, but silly me, I convinced her. Unfortunately I can be very persuasive. "Oh go on Mama, what are the chances of him playing on your birthday while you're in Hamburg? It's a sign" I said. Boy did I have to eat my words, because next thing I know, my "birthday present" for her was to accompany her there. That wasn't part of my plan! I was just going to let Papa suffer along with her...

There was no escaping now! I tried to keep an open-mind. I really tried! But pretty soon I failed...In an attempt to keep my mind at least occupied (and eyes open!), I began to count the spotlights. I can now proudly tell you that the O2 World Arena in Hamburg has a grand total of 226. Unfortunately counting spotlights apparently has the same effect as counting sheep, and I soon drifted into a deep slumber upon Papa's shoulder, while Mama was having a boogie up front. She wasn't very happy with me, because apparently I am "so stubborn!" and at 70 Euros a ticket it was a bit of a pricey snooze. Ah well...she really should know me better than to try and force me into things I don't like doing. It never ends well, usually for her. But I charmed my way back in her good books, and we were back to "happy family" for a country escape the following day, to the lovely town of Lüneburg.

My favourite movie to date is 'Keinohrhasen', produced and directed by and featuring our "German Brad Pitt" -Til Schweiger (English-speakers, you will have seen him in Tarantino's 'Inglorious Bastards'). Granted, he's not blindingly good-looking and kind of an old man now (sorry Til!) but he's definitely still in the heyday of his career. The guy is a machine! Naturally this movie is a romcom, typical: nerdy girl and cool boy used to hang out in sandpit, boy used to tease girl, through cruel twist of fate girl and boy meet again as (still nerdy) woman and (still "cool") man, woman wants to get revenge, man continues to tease woman, through even crueler twist of fate (aka alcohol) they land in bed, (stupid) woman falls for man, man continues his womanising ways, until he realises he loves this woman after all, it seems "too late...to apologise, it's too late" (One Republic feature a bit on the soundtrack), but of course it's not...voila happy end! Of course the storyline is predictable, but the script is just so good. The wit and ingenious lines even translate well into English, which is very surprising for German cinema, so I can only recommend it. 

As per, I am going off on a sporadic tangent...why I needed for you to know that this is my favourite movie is because this was where I first heard about the Lüneburger Heide, a kind of nature reserve about an hour North of Hamburg. I don't remember exactly what Ludo (Til) says about it, but he romanticises about holidaying or living there. In either case, I can understand why. We took the scenic route there and drove past houses like this:



Kind of adorable no?! Well I thought so. I don't think I could live there, it's just too perfect, but pretty to look at nonetheless. Part of me was of course hoping to bump into Herr Schweiger himself, just to see what he is like...one can dream! 

Got a mountain of uni work to catch up on, as well as another family birthday to celebrate, oh, and find a home! Have got a semi-permanent offer from a pilot...do I take it? Could make for some interesting stories...

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts