Frozen sushi WHAT?!

One of the culinary highlights I thought I would have to miss out on while in Germany is sushi. While in Germany you have Maccas, Currywurst or a wedge of pizza as your "fastfood options", in NZ, a popular takeaway is sushi. While also not laden with vegetables or "healthy stuff", it makes for a non-fatty (apart from good Omega3 fats), fresh meal, generally for under ten bucks. 

Of course Germany has Japanese restaurants, but because it is "something special", in the past it has been far too expensive when compared to NZ prices. Thinking that I would not have the delicate little rice morsels at my disposal, I force-fed and gorged myself with sushi (as well as Chinese Yum cha/r dishes), prior to leaving. But to no avail. While I was consuming my first Pretzel, I was already craving a hit of sushi...

So imagine my delight, when during my first local supermarket visit my aunty bought sushi. Not fresh, frozen! (btw, I hope you read the title of this post as "Frozen sushi whaaaaaaaat?!"). Initially I was disturbed by this idea, as what makes sushi good sushi, in my humble opinion, is 1. proper sticky rice and 2. the freshest of seafood. So how would frozen compare?

Photo and styling credits have to go to my little cousin, didn't he do a fine job?! I was so proud...
As you can see, it looks fairly legit. Because we were (once again) pushed for time, these even got defrosted in the microwave! I am not really sure if this still qualifies them as "proper" sushi, because wouldn't defrosting them in the microwave affect the "rawness"??? In any case, they tasted surprisingly good. As I am writing this post the following morning, I can also happily confirm, no food poisoning was contracted.

I'm glad to know I won't have to go without one of my favourite snacks, but I may still have to try and make my own once I get myself a kitchen. As mentioned here, word on the street is, that it is currently pretty tricky to find a place to call home in the city of Munich. Unfortunately this is proving somewhat true already. I have been casually trawling the web, and wrote a couple of emails last night to which I have received one reply, an auto-reply description in the most terrible English and a selection of photos like this...



Yeah...I don't think so...I'm desperately trying not to be picky, but apart from the fact that I wouldn't even know where to sleep on that bed with all those pillows, I can't exactly imagine coming home to all that stuff! So on I trawl...wish me luck!

If anyone reads this, who happens to know someone looking for a flatmate in Munich, I would love to hear from you!

So long for now!

Yours truly 
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts