Luckiest girl in the world -Love letter to Hamburg

Munich and I...it's complicated. The city has decided to "treat me mean, keep me keen". Treating me mean in the sense that it isn't exactly providing a plethora of living options for me. While there is a some truth to "treating 'em mean" (first turn-off if a guy texts me, first, everyday!), there is only a very specific time I will remain keen. I'm an all or nothing person. So while Munich is being stubborn and not reciprocating my love, and I am beginning to doubt whether love is enough, I have decided to give it some space, and have a fling with Hamburg instead. And I have fallen. I fall easily. In lust that is... 

While Munich is cosy and comfortable, Hamburg is cool. It oozes cool. When we were wandering the streets yesterday, it felt like we were in another world. Which in a sense we are, a completely different state to Bavaria at least, but with a country the size of Germany, you can tell. 

Our first night we went out to dinner with Papa's long time business contact, who is a born and bred Hamburger (?). Him and his girlfriend took us to the 'Old Commercial Room' which is a Hamburg institution, and includes a long list of VIP diners including Mr. Clooney, German presidents and...Jackie Chan. Who knew?!

"Hase" (German for rabbit, and our Hamburger's nickname) had also organised tickets for a show on the world famous Reeperbahn. This is the party mile, where previously the "ladies" were displayed like mannequins in the club windows. Nowadays, it has been "cleaned up" a bit (the ladies have been tucked away in a closed off road), but the atmosphere is still electric. Bar, next to club, next to sex-shop, next to cabaret. The show was awesome and our cheeks were sore from laughing so much. 

We finished the night at 'EAST', a sushi restaurant (I won't have to live off frozen sushi after all!), and amazing cocktail bar. The space stretches over four-storeys, and epic, organically shaped pillars traverse between them. The cocktail list is impressive to say the least and I opted for a 'Show Me Pink Martini', delicious! Apparently Hamburg's hippest club is also housed in this building (very unassumingly so!), and naturally it's impossible to get into. "Hase" however knows everyone who's anyone in Hamburg and reckoned he could try get me in, should I feel so inclined...we shall see :)

On several occasions throughout the night I found myself wanting to freeze time and just fully take in the moment, because I was so ridiculously happy. Yeah I know it's sickening to read about other people's happiness, so you'll be pleased to know the next day, (Mama's birthday) began with me having a cry over breakkie...

Having the family unit, Mama, Papa and I, reunited over the last couple of days made me realise how lucky I am to have such cool parents. Urgh I know! I cringed as I was writing it, and of course I could throttle them at times, but overall we make a solid unit. My biggest fear, especially as an only-child, is to lose either of them, and the worst part is, it's inevitable. So when it was Mama's birthday, (her mum died a day after her birthday), guess who had a little anxiety attack...Mama managed to calm me down with a big Mama-bear hug, but it didn't help that she spent the rest of the day provoking me by 'J-walking' across three-laned, semi-autobahn streets! Not appreciated Mama! 

I know I shouldn't think like that, and shouldn't think so much at all, so I guess the only thing to do (as always) is to focus on the positives. So I'd like to take a moment, just sit right there...just kidding...take a moment to take in the fact that I feel like the luckiest girl in the world, for not only having M&P in my life, but all my friends across the globe. Everyone who has offered me their couch, bed or floor to crash on so far, you especially have surprised me with your kindness. 

Right, that's all I've got for today. Off to explore some more!
Tomorrow I will post photos only. Okay mostly photos... 

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts