Love letter to Munich -Part I


Oh yes, here is another one...And once again, I'm feeling like the luckiest girl in the world, okay Munich at least (can't take the realist out of the girl)!

Not only have I found a temporary home, but am getting back into a routine of some sorts. Like most humans, I like routine, although I felt I liked it too much, which was part of the reason I needed to escape New Zealand for a while. I had lost my buzz. There was nothing left for me to discover in Auckland. As soon as I made the decision to escape the Auckland winter, life got light and fluffy again, so that much I already owe to you Munich.

But I'm beginning to owe it so much more already. Today was 'Fleamarket day' in my new haunt, Schwabing. Hundreds of stalls lined the streets and more interestingly the internal courtyards of the old villas. Probably the only way I will ever actually get to see these stunning spaces. Some of the stall holders took entrepreneurship to the next level, selling homebaked goods, drinks, and at one place even Prosecco! And I got my buzz back, and it had nothing to do with the bubbles! The sun was shining, spring was in the air again and I could wander. My wander-buddy was Alex. Alex and my families were neighbours in a suburb of Frankfurt for a month before we moved to NZ. They bought the house we would've bought had we not moved to the other side of the world. Weird to think how life might have turned out had we stayed...Our families have been friends since her younger sister and I went to primary school together, and Alex has also visited us in NZ. So it really was a pleasure to catch up. 

Furthermore Alex is quite fabulous in that she works for a fashion agency, that is responsible for distributing brands like Chloé, Diane von Fürstenberg and some others of the like that I cannot remember...I must not be a true fashionista...unlike herself. She also has a knack for spotting a pre-loved goody, a skill I hope to learn from her. To top off her fabulousness, she recently spent two months in New York city, and since she pretty much spent those two months partying, guess who'll be getting the low down... :) 

After a cuppa and a chitchat at her place I walked, no semi-skipped back home. But not before I slipped Sex and the City The Movie into my bag.

As I've been wandering the streets of Munich I still can't quite believe I'm actually here, living the life I dreamed of whenever I got sick of Matakana/Auckland. Sure, when things aren't going so splendidly here, as was the case last week, I miss the nonchalant nature of Kiwis, the ocean, surfing and of course the friends I've left behind. 

But then I remind myself that that's just human nature, we always want what we can't have. So for now, I'm thankful for Munich finally revealing its truly beautiful side and keeping me excited about being here. And I can one day swoon about the time I lived in Schwabing...

This is also having the pleasing side-effect of getting me excited about returning to NZ. Because while Auckland is waiting for me, (which it is because I told it to in its love letter), new places for me to explore will hopefully have popped up! 

To top off the week, things have finally been sorted out with the university, and from next week I will actually be attending seminars. Pheew! Thought it would never happen...but just goes to show, persistence pays off and everything always falls into place as it should. 

In the meantime I will continue to wander and have my heart warmed by sights like this. 



That's it for Part I, which of course implies there will be more to follow...I hope so! 

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts