Family visits with Papa - Part II

So before I start getting ahead of myself again, and show you all the bars, cafes and restaurants I've been checking out lately, I figured I should round up Papa's visit first. He's never here for long, but we do seem to stuff an awful lot of activities into those weekends...

After having visited his parents that weekend, we had to visit Mama's side of the family the following one. As if she had known how spectacularly Oma had dished up for us, my aunty refrained from cooking and went for a typical Bavarian 'Brotzeit' (literally "breadtime", typical in the sense that since most Germans have a cooked lunch, dinner often just consists of a spread of bread, cheeses and meats). However, she too went all out, and it was much more than your "typical" Brotzeit!


The meats.
The cheeses/salads.
She even went as far as to make little Post-it note flags...


They were pretty darn cute, but unfortunately not as sticky as one might've hoped. And pretty soon Opa was getting the 'Obazda' (means "mashed up", typical Bavarian cheese dip speciality) mixed up with the roasted Mediterranean dip, which amused us...him - not so much! :)

After the two sets of grandparents went off to bed and both my cousins had got dropped off at their parties, the rest of us: Papa, uncle, aunty and me breathed a sigh of relief, refilled our glasses and chatted away into the night while chilling out next to the fire.

"It's a special skill to pour the beer correctly..." which he obviously takes very seriously.
Although it's a bit tricky when you've had a couple of Schnaps...
...and with such distractions! :)
I think my uncle got a bit jealous...
The following day, we payed one more visit to Opa, for his legendary 'Reibadatschi' (grated potato fritters).

So simple. So good. Although best enjoyed with smoked salmon.
The chef and his sous-chef Dora.

Although I loved his apron even more than his 'Reibadatschi'. You have to German/Bavarian to get it, sorry! :)

That was Papa's last weekend here, but thankfully I still had a quality midweek breakfast to look forward to with him before his departure! It's coming up! Until then...

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts