I could eat a horse!

I had already uploaded all the images of this post, researched and written the text, only had a proofread to go, before I could hit that "enable"-button. But when I returned to my list of posts to push that ever-satisfying "enable"...well, it was gone. It seems my wifi/laptop had other plans! 

In that moment I didn't have the heart to rewrite it all, which I am now regretting somewhat as I am struggling to remember what witty words I had come up with. Ah well, here goes take two

The day after V-day, I moved for the third time in two months. I've got this packing business down! On the Saturday our family friends Max and Brigitte helped me move, again. I now refer to them as my second set of parentals, since they have just saved my butt so many times! They are a couple of the kindest humans I know, and what makes them even more special, is that they are the kind of people that don't only do nice things, they do them for you before you even realised you needed help. Unfortunately no amount of "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" will ever express my gratitude for them, and there is really nothing so kind I can do for them to return their kindness, so I suppose I just have to pay that kindness forward to anyone who needs it in their honour! 

After I said my farewells to Max and Brigitte, I met Julia for a long overdue catch up over brunch at the Cafe ReitschuleLocated in my old 'hood - swanky Schwabing, the place is a Munich institution due to its rich history. It was opened in 1927 as the riding school of the Ludwig-Maximilian-University. Since it always had a convincing culinary reputation it soon became the hang out of the local celebrity and 'Schiki-Mickis'. It's still kind of like this today, but what's also remained from the past are the horses. 

The booths around the perimeter of the space have windows facing directly into the original indoor riding arena. So as you're munching away on your breakkie, you can admire the majestic creatures cantering past you.

Though this guy was obviously more interested in his food...
The reason I'd been meaning to try this place for a while, was because they offered a kind of "breakfast tower". Since I had finally found my "space" again, and it was both the Julia's birthdays coming up, I decided to treat us to the tower.


Of course by the time the tower arrived, I was so overwhelmed that I forgot to take a picture of it in its entirety. But - I got every "storey"! Before we even turned our attention to the tower, we had our very satisfying base of freshly-squeezed OJ, a portion of our 5+ a day, a soft-boiled egg and the best Bircher Muesli of my life! 

Mama will probably fall off her chair reading that, because she makes a pretty sweet Bircher Muesli. But I have a sneaky feeling that the oats of this one were soaked in full fat cream…can't beat that really! :)


Next we moved onto the first storey, the seafood. There was smoked salmon, grav lax, marinated scampi, smoked fish (mackerel or herring?) and fish roe. 


The next storey, the cheeses. I feel this could've been a bit more generous, especially the gorgonzola and brie, but heck, we ate for two and a half hours and still didn't finish everything, so I'm probably just a greedy-guts…


And the top floor, the meats. 


Obviously I skipped this level and busied myself with photo taking instead. Including the "after"-shot of the tower.



Love that lighting!

After the aforementioned two-and-a-half hours of grazing the weather outside had gotten  gloomier still, the tables had been reset for lunch and I began to get silly after my pre-noon glass of bubbles…


I would've happily sat there for the rest of the day, and had one glass after another and continued our highly intelligent conversation, but Julia's older sister instinct kicked in, and she knew she needed to get me out of there, before I got really happy. And I still had some unpacking to do in my new abode after all! 



Thanks for a perfect lazy Sunday Julia, I'd missed you! 

More about the new pad next time…

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts