The day I got fired…and the day I got hired

Well I didn't exactly get fired, but I think I mentioned that I was made redundant the day I returned from my lovely holiday. After just two hours at work, I was informed that my first day back at work would also be my last - not exactly the welcome back I had expected!

Within a flash, any trace of holiday relaxation had evaporated. Despite reacting in a cool, calm and collected manner while being informed of the circumstances, I suspect I must've been in shock. I was anything but cool, calm or collected as I did what I thought you should do when you get made redundant (there really should be a handbook for that!), said some teary goodbyes and got back home by three in the afternoon. 

What got to me about the situation was that now there was no real reason for me to be back in Munich. I could've spent more time with Mama and Papa. And they were of course who I missed right at that moment. Because even though it's not your fault when you get made redundant, it still leaves you feeling kind of shit about yourself.

I didn't have Mama or Papa, but thankfully I have some pretty fabulous friends. As soon as I told her, Schoeli (who you may remember from our ski-trip, Valentine's Day, or our birthday weekend) suggested we meet for a cuppa at 'Tushita Teehaus'. Despite not feeling like leaving the house for the rest of the week, I slapped some fresh make up across my tear stricken face and missioned to meet her. Because if anyone knows the  healing powers of a Schoeli chat and a cup of tea - "…like a hug in a mug!" - it's the girl who worked in a teahouse for five years!

The weather had been a humid, grey mess all morning and the sun was only just beginning to creep out. Sunshine no longer matched my mood, so I was pleased to escape into the cozy embrace of the dimly lit teahouse. 



 I hid out back in the nook-like part and took a moment to reflect before Schoeli arrived.



Now tea has some pretty special healing powers, but chocolate is my preferred drug of choice! So along with my "greenest" tea I ordered a slice of the avocado-chocolate tart. The food at Tushita is vegan, and I had heard of avocado being used as a binding agent, so I wasn't expecting the tart to actually taste like avocado. But as it turns out, avocado and chocolate make a pretty bangin' flavour combo!



Schoeli ordered a slice of the mango-coconut tart and some crazy chai concoction.





It took almost three hours for us to debrief, and suss out a "job application"-game plan, but I left the teahouse feeling light as the foam on that chai and ready to take on the world. 

By the time I got home, Fräulein Caro, who had been there to helped me celebrate getting the jobhad invited me for a private screening of the finale of 'Germany's Next Top Model' to help distract me from losing the job.

Once I discovered the spread of nibbles she had prepared and the stash of bubbles in the fridge, not another thought was wasted on my redundancy!







She'd even bought me roses! 



Now let's fast forward a few weeks to…the day I got HIRED! 

In fact it was Tuesday this week! The contract didn't arrive until Friday, so I was hesitant to make it official until then. But as of Tuesday the 1st July I will be the latest addition to team at Häberlein & Mauerer. This was the PR firm that I first applied for an internship with last year and then had to make the hopeless choice. Although I still stand by my decision, and wouldn't want to miss having worked with the Ziberts (because then I also wouldn't have met friends such as Schoeli and co. - you know who you are!) I do feel super lucky that I got a second chance to work for Häberlein & Mauerer. This time round as PR-Trainee for their 'Food' clients. Kind of makes sense doesn't it?! I'm pretty darn excited! 

It's been a tough past few weeks, trying to remain motivated and self-disciplined, especially with the glorious sunshine luring me outdoors. And I really couldn't have got myself through it quite so gracefully without the support of friends and the invaluable advice of Schoeli. I so appreciate it because Schoeli has enough on her own plate as she has just embarked on the adventure that is self-employment. Unfortunately there is not much I can do to show my gratitude apart from say a thousand 'thank yous', and treat her to soulfood, but if anyone reading this blog is looking for a rad graphic designer, hit me up - because I have the woman for you!


Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts