Manhattan back to Munich

While we had planned to have a sweet last sleep in the city of dreams, it was not to be. I woke up in the middle of the night with a face so red and swollen that I could hardly see out of the Voldemortesque slits that my eyes had become. The worst however was the stinging, burning pain. But it was the middle of the night, so what was I going to do? - Cover my face in cool, wet toilet paper and hope that my face hadn't exploded by the morning!

Morning finally came, and I was absolutely shattered. The irony that I would be departing the Big Apple with a face resembling a big, red apple was not lost on me, but since it hurt to smile, I had a bit of a cry instead. 

We had planned to spend the rest of our American Dollars in SoHo before flying out early evening. It was a glorious day, and it killed me to have to send Nicola off on her own. But not before she accompanied me to the pharmacy around the corner for some antihistamine. 

Obviously I had had some kind of allergic reaction, however to this day I am not sure what from. I suspect a seafood-overdose, since I have been a bit off it since then. Which is why when N had returned to pick me up for lunch I had another lobster roll…(yes I am a bit silly sometimes!).



We didn't stroll too far from home for lunch, just down the street to our subway station: Bedford Ave, where we had spotted a couple of cute places. This one won us over by letting us taste some of their homemade choc-chip cookies. How could we not stay?!



The Swedish Espresso Bar across the road reminded us of our Swedish friends! (You know who you are…) :)



One final stroll through our 'hood…



…where we discovered some sweet art work.





And admired the Manhattan skyline for the last time (this time!)… 



Before saying a very teary goodbye and getting into our separate cabs. One heading back to JFK (N's) and mine all the way to Newark! The view looking back over Brooklyn from the Brooklyn Bridge was something else, but I stopped myself from snapping away and focused on just soaking it up - a perfect, final mental image of six fabulous days in New York City with one of my favourite people!

After eight hours, and the sixth (!!!) flight on the round-world trip, I was back beneath a Bavarian sky. As soon as I was on the train driving back into the city, a feeling of content washed over me. Since I was still sleep deprived I dumped my luggage and headed straight to the Rose Garden in my 'hood for some much needed r&r.

I was pleasantly surprised that a traditional 'May pole' had been erected, and the peonies were in full bloom!





As well as the tulips and the lilac!





I was so glad to have some nature surrounding me again, some natural green! It was good to be back in my Bavarian home.


More about the Rose Garden in full Summer bloom coming right up!

Your truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts