Christmas 2013 round-up

Yes! Survived Christmas for another year. Apart from having to visit the other grandparents, which I plan to combine with skiing and everything that comes after…

I must admit, despite many visits to the Christmas markets, another dusting of snow, and Christmas parties, I still didn't get into the Christmas spirit. I think that with my family being on two different sides of the planet, Christmas will never be a truly joyous occasion. And so I've decided that Christmas is not worth all the hassle and won't be magical again until I have kids that I want to make it magical for.

Nonetheless, December has been super busy, as seems to be my life in general at present. I don't like it. As New Years is rapidly approaching, I have decided that I'm going to attempt to slow life down again, as much as is in my power. I remember reading a quote about "stopping the glorification of busy", and I feel like that's precisely what I need to do. Because I'm sick of having to use "I'm busy" as an excuse. I need to become a lot more selective as to who I make time for, and most importantly, not forget myself. 

Right, had to get that down in writing so I have a better chance of keeping my resolution. But onto some pictures!

December began with a "Christmas cookie baking day" with my aunty, who I kind of emotionally blackmailed into the whole thing...



She always has such a cheesy smile, I'm sure she wasn't pretending… 
In the end my uncle also got involved…


As well as my "little" cousin…


He was stoked...


I did my share too!
After having spent most of the day in the kitchen, we had made a grand total of…three varieties. And so that would be the last Christmas baking I did for the year.


Quality, not quantity. At least the three varieties we made were truly delectable.
To celebrate our "productivity" we traded the kitchen for the local Christmas market, and treated ourselves to a Glühwein (mulled wine)!



Pretty soon, Christmas/end of year dinner invitations followed, crammed between late nights at work.





This colossal bowl of Spag with the most amazing fried prawns was pretty much the culinary highlight of this month. I ate three bowls full.

Shortly after, we had our second dusting of snow.





This was also the day that I demolished 30 hours of overtime in taking one day of holiday, thanks to our 3:1 overtime rule. But as the snow flakes flurried past my window and I was tucked into bed with my hotty (unfortunately nonhuman...), lappy and surrounded by candles, I really couldn't have cared.

Along with the snow, came a severe drop in temperature, which called for more Glühwein at more Christmas markets, with family...


Local Christmas market at my aunty's, in the forest under the platforms of the "climbing garden".


My older cousin, manning the BBQ.
…and friends.





And finally, a work Christmas party, that nobody (despite copious amounts of alcohol being consumed) would quickly forget. Themed: Christmas is for "squares", preppy/proper dress was requested. 



Everyone also had to give a performance, people making fools of themselves is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. So the interns and a few of the Juniors teamed up, and we gave the "Sister Act" performance of our lifetime. We had to, since our playback failed…But oh happy day! We got through it.


The sisters.
One of my soul sisters, Sabrina.
And my not so secret admirer, the wonderful Aline!
Phew! Now I've got that out of the way, I only have 1,000,000 other things to organise these "holidays"…Oh no, I'm not busy at all! ;)

While all this busyness has been giving me an "anxiety tummy ache" I was truly thankful for stumbling across this quote. I think it brings everything very much back into perspective.



Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts