Autumny Austria -Part I

So the weekend definitely didn't turn out as I'd imagined...

I forgot to mention in Monday's post that Papa had further made my Monday by arriving in a rental convertible. In case you hadn't realised by now, I'm a bit of a fan of convertibles...so I was very pleased to know we would have a two hour drive ahead of us on Friday after work, to head over to Austria and fulfill our obligatory grandparental visit.

Of course the weather decided not to cooperate so we arrived (roof up) to this...



Not quite as majestic as last time, and yes that is the first snow powdered across the top of the 'Wilde Kaiser'! 

The dreariness continued through to Saturday, but since I have been on the hunt for a Winter-appropriate jacket, we decided to hit the shops in the nearby town of 'Kufstein'. Unfortunately I had clear ideas as to how this jacket was to look; khaki-coloured parka, with a fat, cozy, fur-trimmed hood that would make me feel like I was forever snuggled up in my duvet and had never left bed in the mornings. Hmmm...what would be the chances of finding that? Especially after having already dragged myself and my hangover around all of last Saturday hunting!

Well after we meandered past the bleak, yet still somehow impressive fortress of Kufstein...





...and headed into the first shop, this was the first thing I laid my eyes upon.

I'll take it! :)
Oma approved also.


Since we were so successful first take, we continued to stroll through the pretty town.




Yes, you read that correctly, 14 degrees...Behind this strange sculpture. What's that about? Those cocky Austrians... :)

After a few hours, our rumbling stomachs drove us back home to coffee and cake, followed soon after by a bit of a feast:






These miniature pretzel rolls would've been enough to satisfy me, but...



There were 'Spinach dumplings with melted butter, parmesan and crispy friend onions to be had, so I decided to go easy on the rolls and devoured three of these instead. 

Thankfully Sunday proved a little better weather wise after the thick, white alpine fog had rolled out of the valley. It still wasn't stable enough to go hiking though, so we settled for a stroll into the village, where the following billboard welcomes you. 



For non-German speakers, he's basically going "McWhaaat?"...Apart from the fact that I think the "farmer" that was cast for this ad looks a bit too much like another infamous Austrian, I think it's very clever! And so appropriate for the still very traditional mindset of most Austrians. 

Every tiny village still has its own church as well as local band. Which is what we were on our way to check out.









It was a bit of a surprise to see people my age playing in the band. As much as I love my Dirndl, I couldn't imagine spending my Summer Sundays getting up to get dressed in the traditional get-up, go to church and play in the band after. Very interesting to witness such a different lifestyle, and to be honest, made me appreciate mine all the more. 

A different traditional aspect I'm totally obsessed with however, is the style of the traditional Austrian houses. 






Those colourful balconies!

As you can see from the photos, the sun was peeking out enough for us to risk a open-top drive in the convertible after all. But more about that tomorrow... :)



Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts