A trans-seasonal August "use" up

July passed by. August came and left. September crept up on me, and here it is! Now as down as I was about Summer being essentially over, I am rather looking forward to the next season. No, not Autum– Bavaria's fifth season – Oktoberfest season!

The Oktoberfest starts in just three weeks and I'm sure I'll have plenty to show and tell. Before that however, I have something almost as good too look forward to, a visit from...Papa SoulFood! :) (Just kidding, of course I would take him over Oktoberfest any day!) Papa and I have had adventures a plenty together:


Unfortunately I only get to see him for one weekend since Mama SoulFood wants him back in NZ ASAP! Furthermore I'll have to share him with Oma & Opa, so I'll have to think of something particularly clever that Oma & Opa are still able to participate in, but will actually be fun for me/us...I already have an idea, so hopefully I manage to use my persuasive talents with success. Stay tuned.

Before Oktoberfest season hits, and I get caught up in the excitement of seeing Papa, I figured it was time for another one of these round ups for August. Since this is essentially always a collection of images I really like, but didn't make it into a themed post, I've decided to rename these round ups as "use ups", seems a bit more authentic no?

So here are my August leftovers (every food appreciator knows no leftovers are a good thing, and I reckon the same goes for photos!):



There were markets with the last of the Summer berries...



...and the first of the season's mushrooms.



This building's decorative elements also reminded me of the change in season, reminiscent of the sunflowers surrounding the ripened corn fields. After their harvest came the usual period of Summer thunderstorms.



The picture actually doesn't do the electric atmosphere of Summer thunderstorms justice, when the tension in the air makes it feel as if the cloud laden sky is about to burst, and you can smell the rain before it falls in heavy sheets, sometimes battering hail. I found this very fitting Pinterest quote:



After suffering my yearly trans-seasonal cold, I amped up my vitamin C content, which lead me to consume my first kiwi, but more importantly 'Kiwi'-kiwi since arriving here!



Since starting my full-time internship/job, all I seem to be able to manage when I get home to unwind is cook, leading to an influx of "home-cooked-food" photography. To begin with there were still salady things...



...rocket, with pesto-grilled prawns, basil, cocktail tomatoes and Parmigiano! I also recently made rocket, fig and gorgonzola, which was rather splendid, so will recreate and post sometime. Soon salady things morphed into comforting carbiness...



Pasta with spinach, zucchini, broccoli and gorgonzola. Carby perhaps, but still grean and mean! Although I must admit, the past a was shit, thankfully that was the last of it. Oh and that's a little limerick!

As much as I enjoy cooking to wind down, I much prefer appreciating other peoples' creations. So after a long day rushing around organising bits and bobs including attempting to purchase myself some warmer clothes (and failed because I succumbed to the "end of season" sales...) I needed some cake in the sunshine at my (still) Munich favourite, the Glockenspiel Cafe.

It was less a cake and more a dessert really, 'Chocolate mousse cake'. And as if that wasn't enough of a sugar-hit, I added on one of their homemade 'Melon lemonades' I call them "Melonades" = Summer in one sitting.



Appreciate them in their singularity please. Ooohhh...



Mmmhhh...



The Glockenspiel Cafe has a pretty spectacular view (which I want you to discover for yourself!), but this view from the tram was almost as good.



The two towers belong to the 'Frauenkirche' which literally translates to "Womens' church", you can probably guess why I can always remember the name of this particular church out of the hundreds of churches in Munich... :)

Then the crappy weather made for a hungover crafty Sunday (more on this another time).


And finally, there were of course some flowers!



That's all for August, a merry start to September! (I really shouldn't be using merry yet...)

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts