Mama SoulFood

I best continue with the introduction of the other main characters in Fräulein SoulFood’s vivacious life. In fact I would go as far as to say the key character, Mama SoulFood! My Mama.

Clearly I was favoured by the Food Gods since they dedicated Mama SoulFood to me. Since I was a wee sausage in Mama SoulFood’s tummy (literally in German we have a saying that translates to “while you were still in Abraham’s Sausage Kettle”…which she uses a lot!), I have been soaking up the flavours of the world! I have been very fortunate as a “spoiled/selfish/people-pleasing” only child :) that my parents are foodies and therefore hardly any expenses were ever spared to come by opportunities for culinary experimentation.

Mama SoulFood, has always been an adventurous but also capable cook. I know generally people think their Mama cooks best, but I know that’s not true, I’m not even going as far as saying my Mama cooks the best, but she certainly does it with as much love as any top chef. From numerous home-catered “Oktoberfest” for 40-60 people, to 8-course exquisite degustation dinner parties, to organising the catering at one of my primary school Galas (where they raised the most money in the “food” section EVER!) to continuing the German Christmas tradition of baking a minimum of 12 different Christmas cookies or “Plaetzchen” in the New Zealand summer. She does it all.

She is by no means a “Desperate Housewife” who tend to do nothing BUT clean, wash and cook, oh! and have affairs…no no no no! Mama SoulFood works hard, AS WELL as ensuring every mealtime spent as a family (usually breakfast and dinner) is not just an excuse to consume more calories, but a ritual for sharing thoughts and experiences. Unfortunately, for her, this isn’t always as picturesque as it sounds, as we are a rather outspoken family, so these “events” can often result in fighting, sulking and disappointment, but generally making up again also. Although by this time dinner is usually cold. Sorry Mama!

The most important thing you really need to know about Mama SoulFood is that she is Fraulein SoulFood’s best friend. And although it’s probably not natural for her to be so close to her Mama, she doesn’t care. Mama SoulFood’s earned it! Because she is a SoulFood Superwoman.

Who’s you Superwoman or man?!


Yours truly,

Fräulein SoulFood

Comments

Popular Posts