Wiesn-season 2014

For the first time in what feels like forever I have had an entire Sunday all to myself, with nowhere to be, no one to see and time to catch up on some blogging.

I have been promising this post for weeks - no months! - and finally the time has come for the pictures from the time that was Wiesn 2014!

This year was an extra special Wiesn, as Mama, Papa and Fräulein SoulFood all attended Oktoberfest together for the first time in a wee while. Of course we never managed to get a picture of us three, but there were plenty of other Oktoberfest-pictures to make up for it…

We kicked-off day one of Oktoberfest at lunchtime together with our longtime family-friends aka our "Wiesn-crew", in our favourite tent the 'Ochsenbraterei'. 

'Ochsenbraterei' - I like you. I may or may not have taken one of these home… 


The first 'Mass' of the day always goes down a treat… 


…as does the second and third! After three hours of eating drinking and catching up, everybody is pleased to get out of the tent and soak up the sights and sounds outside.


Of course there are plenty of rides to be experienced. The 'Krinoline' is one of the more traditional options. A kind of rotunda where you sit in booths and once the traditional "oompah"-band begins to play, the rotunda swivels around, and around gaining momentum with every rotation.


It's popular with the oldies, as it is quite a cruisy ride. Of course not if you've had a few too many Mass prior to going on it, but perhaps the young lady to the left just easily gets motion sick?… 





Her family were very supportive. While Papa had the time of his life! 


Next we inspected the tent that had been the talk of town in the lead up prior to the Oktoberfest, as it got a new 'Wiesn-Wirt' aka "tent-boss". 

Since the Oktoberfest tents have such a long history, there are very strict views of what is considered traditional and in effect right or wrong. So when the new "tent-boss" announced his newly refurbished tent would be offering the "traditional" Bavarian meals along with vegan and organic options, he ruffled a few feathers.

In any case, may I present to you, in all its Disney-like glory - the 'Marstall'!



Not quite worth all the hype, so we swiftly moved on to my favourite ride, 'Wilde Maus'. 


Of course Mama and Ruediger (our longtime family- and Wiesn-friend) came along!

Mama was ready to party!
That's my nervous-excitement face!
This ride, which in case you hadn't guessed literally translates to "wild mouse", consists of sitting in a small buggy which dashes about at some height, turning corners at the very last second. 

The worst part, which is also the best part because it gives you that wonderful feeling of your stomach being left behind, are the wave like dips toward the end of the ride, by which point you're actually kind of glad the ride is over. I think my face says it all…


But we survived! 


For an afternoon perk-up, we went to one of the smaller tents for some coffee and cake. There I also discovered the largest pan of what was going to become the traditional Austrian dish 'Kaiserschmarrn' I've ever seen!

Can I dive in?!
Prior to returning to the tent, I had to have the obligatory "calendar" shot taken. After this photo which was taken last year:


I decided I will take one of these every year, so that one day I will be able to look back on a visual calendar of all the years I attended Oktoberfest, 2014 looks like this:


Same procedure as every year.
Finally we returned to the tent for the part two of the "Wiesn-opening" experience. Since this was the second reservation of the day, this time a few of my friends joined for dinner and the "dancing on the benches" part. 



Unfortunately the lovely Luefchen already had another Wiesn-date that night, so the two of us had a few Wiesn-sessions the following days to make up for it!


As well as with the lovely Sarah, Anna and her boyfriend Matze who were kind enough to smuggle me into the tent and accommodate me at their table one night so we could finally have a decent catch up!

Anna & Sarah.
In our favourite party tent - "the Bavarians' heaven" - 'Hacker'.


After eight days of Wiesn, and five of which I had been present, my immune system began to shut down. Unfortunately it doesn't help to have a mother who is equally as enthusiastic about Oktoberfest as I am…  



…because instead of staying home in bed, we decided on the second Sunday, it would be a good idea to still pay the Oktoberfest a visit, but just stop by the "old" Wiesn. This is a part of the Oktoberfest which is really meant to be traditional, there are no party songs being played in this tent, just folk music and traditional dancing.

Prior to this we took a spin on the ferris wheel, just as the sun was setting.




From the cabins one gets a detailed overview not only of the largest folk-festival in the world, sprawling at the feet of the ferris wheel, but the city melting into the horizon beyond it.






Just as a golden sun was setting, we touched back down and made our way to the "old" Wiesn to meet our friend Rike. 


As I mentioned, no party music here, all traditional. This was a completely new Wiesn-experience for me!


The traditional tent gets pretty at night, I'm just a sucker for festive lights!

Rike works as a Wiesn-waitress, so we had a meal and watched her carry liters of beer, but since it wasn't busy for long she got to sit and chat with us. Actually it was Mama who did all the talking since I had completely lost my voice by this stage. 

Therefore this would be my last day of Oktoberfest for this year, as I lay in bed with the worst flu in a long time for the second week and almost a week after that. Nonetheless it was another spectacular Wiesn-season, and I'm already counting down until next year! 

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts