The hidden Greek hideaway - 'Kalypso'

Recently I went for a run. During my PTU (Period of Temporary Unemployment) I was at my fittest since I went for a run every day. Basically I needed an excuse to get myself out of the house (and out of my PJs!), and running along the Isar seemed like a decent enough excuse. I was doing something for my health after all! 

Unfortunately my health hasn't been too splendid of late, and work has replaced exercising, but my run last weekend more than paid off. Because as I ran around my old 'hood Schwabing again, I discovered 'Kalypso'.

Since I have a curious nature, I did a spot of research of what "Kalypso" means: 

It is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Calypso is "she who hides". From "kalypto". Mythology: a demi-goddess and nymph who lived on the hidden island of Ogygia, and kept Odysseus as her prisoner and lover for seven years.

Quite beautiful don't you think? This Kalypso is indeed quite well hidden, tucked away in an unassuming side street. But since I didn't want it to remain a mystery to me for too long, and I was long overdue to have a catch-up date with Fräulein Caro, that's where we headed!








The day I had run past I had only noticed the outdoor seating which was plentiful and seemed like the perfect spot to soak up the evening sun. Unfortunately the day we went it was raining. But when we entered I was more than positively surprised as the pure white, minimalist interior instantly transported me back to one of my favourite places on the planet, that little slice of heaven on earth known as - Oia, Santorini…













After a very warm welcome, we ordered the mixed starter plate for two.



We had actually ordered the 'warm and cold' plate, and ended up getting the just cold plate, but it was delicious nonetheless. A squeeze of lemon… 







…and we were good to dig in. Gleeful in anticipation!




Since we were in the sharing mood, and couldn't decide on what else to have for our main, we ordered something I have really been craving of late - an artichoke. Caro had never eaten an artichoke before, so it was my special honour to initiate her into the artichoke-eating-experience! 

The beauty arrived…


The beauty.
…and then came Caro's "all right Julia, how do we attack this?!"-look.


Thankfully I am well versed in the art of artichoke-consumption, as I had a bit of an obsession with artichokes as a child. Something about having to eat them with your hands, the tactility - essentially, being allowed to play with your food! 

So what is the art? One plucks off one "petal" at a time and using it much like a spoon, you scoop up some of the accompanying aioli/sauce/salsa.





And then you suck!



The closer you get to the heart, the fleshier and better it gets. And since you're already playing with your food, it's quite fun to make things out of the leftovers.


The red bits are what make up the heart, which you can often find marinated in jars.
Apparently the waiter quite appreciated my little work of art, as he brought us some Greek yoghurt with walnuts and honey for a sweet finale. Along with another round of that horrible Ouzo. And the Ouzo brought us back to our reality, back into a damp and cool Munich night.

It looks like I won't be getting a summer holiday. So until I save up enough pennies to head back to Santorini - with Caro in tow! - I've decided I will just come back to Kalypso, and with a bit of imagination (and a bit more Ouzu!) it will almost be like I'm back in Oia! 

Kalinikta!
Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts