Back to baking

A while back I met for a cuppa and a catch up with Kathi, Niccy and Schoeli. We headed to the 'Gartensalon', which as the name might suggest, offers a vibrant garden oasis within the city.


The place reminded me of a kitschier version of my beloved Brookview Teahouse, where I worked for five years during my High School and uni years. The same emphasis on homemade, using seasonal and organic produce where possible, as well as "happy" free-range eggs.

However the visual clues were even more reminiscent of "Brookie", as the Gartensalon also serves their treats on a mismatched, antique crockery. 


The crockery at Gartensalon.
The crockery at Brookie.
Although the menu is simple, the cake cabinet had me ooohing and aaahing for even longer than usual! In the end, I chose what is not so standard in Germany, the "very British" scone. Considering my Brookview upbringing, I like to consider myself as a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to the traditional cream tea. 

I had my reservations about the scone, as it already looked like it wouldn't have the right consistency (the slightest of crusts on the outside and lusciously fluffy on the inside). This scone just looked to perfect. But of course one can't always judge these things from the outside, one has to have a taste.


Unfortunately my concern was confirmed as it was far too dense and heavy. But while the  consistency was not right, it still tasted good, and the homemade jam almost made up for the scone. 

The most popular treat at Brookview, was the 'Brookview Tea'. The Brookie version of the traditional High Tea.


This was a special brunch version the Boss made for Mama SoulFood's birthday.
Or for one. As you can see, I was quite spoilt!



During the Brookview era, most of my time was spent testing recipes for all sorts of cookies, biscuits and cakes. Accompanied by plenty of tea and chats with the Brookview ladies of course! Looking back, I can't even really justify calling it a job. 

Apart from being the queen of tarts, due to being able to make the most amazing pastry, Lynnie's (the Boss) speciality were macarons. 





These colourful gems are quite the test for any baker, since they are pretty temperamental (perhaps because they are French?! hehe). My speciality was a bit simpler - the humble chocolate chip cookie. 

And as I left the Gartensalon, I came to the conclusion that I would start baking regularly again. Because there is just something so satisfying about pulling something out of your oven, and being able to stuff it straight in your gob! :)

So the following weekend I made my first batch of chocolate cookies.





The colleagues and friends who got to enjoy the fruits of my labour seemed pretty happy about this. I think the Cookie Monster would have been proud. And as we know, the Cookie Monster is a very clever cookie (monster). As this quote which I stumbled across on Pinterest confirms.



I know plenty of people I would share my last cookie with!

As for the Gartensalon, I may not be back for another scone, but definitely to test my way through the rest of the cakes. To ensure I hadn't lost the ability to make decent scones myself, of course I had to bake some of those the following weekend. But more about that next time!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood

Comments

Popular Posts