Cooking up a storm with Stromberg

Yesterday the sun was shining, a glorious, cloudless day. I met Kathi for a picnic in the afternoon, yet I was feeling a little melancholy. Why so blue you ask? Because this wee picnic was a bit of a farewell picnic, since Kathi is leaving me for Copenhagen!

As I was trawling through my pictures recently, I stumbled across photos from the night Kathi and me went from being colleagues to becoming friends. I realised I'd never shared these photos, and since I am very grateful for this evening, I thought I'd do a little flashback in honour of our friendship.

At the beginning of the year, at work one afternoon, I got an email from Kathi, inquiring whether I had anything planned for the evening. For once, I had not. She asked whether I would like to join her for a cooking class with Holger Stromberg. After a google, I kindly declined, since I knew I would not be able to afford a cooking class that cost 340 Euro. But then she mentioned that this was a work thing. The invite had come from a hotel chain, who wanted to introduce their new hotels, as well as their representative Managers during an evening of communal cooking. 

Well that, I thought, sounded like my kind of evening, and Kathi and I missioned to one of Stromberg's locations 'Kounge' to learn more about these hotels and some new tricks in the kitchen.



First their was a meet and greet of the Managers and the other agency representatives that had been invited for the evening, along with some bubbles.



Before we headed into the kitchen part of the Kounge (kitchen+lounge…get it?!) for some tips and tricks. Now of course Mr. Stromberg himself was not personally present, but his disciples! These young guns, are doing their apprenticeship with Mr. Stromberg and already have many impressive culinary skills up their sleeves. Including how to perfectly filet a fish. Which was the first thing this guy demonstrated for us.







This was obviously the side done by my fellow guest.
While one of the other guests had the pleasure of filleting the second side, I got to work for julienning the Kohlrabi.





We each got a little task, and together we compiled the entree.





As you can see, we quite enjoyed ourselves while Kathi preferred to remain behind the counter (and camera) to diligently capture our every move.



The one in white was one of the Managers of the hotels, and an absolute hoot! 



I struggled to concentrate on mastering my task as she continued to distract me with her hilarious commentary.



Slowly but surely the entree began to take shape.





Before it was ready for service.


While the finishing splashes, smears and micro greens were being arranged, I headed over to the other cooking island to check out how the main course was coming along.



All looked well there!



Particularly the veal, cooked atop a bed of hay and mountain-blossoms…



The smell! I tell you, it almost made me want to pretend I wasn't a Pescitarian! So before temptation struck, we hustled to the perfectly set table, which Kathi captured so moodily.


This also provided the perfect opportunity to review the menu:



Roasted salmon-sashimi / Wok-spice (whatever component of the dish that was supposed to be I will never know…) / Agave-cereal marinade / Kohlrabi / Basil

***
Filet of veal cooked in a bed of hay and mountain-blossoms / Artichokes / Pea mousseline-sauce
***
Lemon balm tartlet / Kataifi-crunch / Berries

And then the entree arrived, and was gobbled up within a matter of minutes.


Followed briskly by the main.


Unfortunately this was all so long ago that I fail to remember what my replacement for the meaty component of the dish was, but I remember it was delicious! 

But of course, the highlight for my sweet being was dessert… 



I like to imagine that if I were a Thumbelina this could be my sugary playground where I sit atop lemon balm tartlets and jump through Kataifi hoops! But I suppose that would be more likely to happen in the "birthplace" of Thumbelina…Copenhagen.

As the lights were dimmed, Kathi and me forgot about networking and had our first proper chats, and I would go as far as to say - bonded. 


There have been many catch ups, hang outs and heart-to-hearts since, and while I am sad that she will be leaving my city, I am certain she will soon have made Copenhagen her city and I can't wait to have her show it off to me!

Until then Kathi, it's not farvel, just seeya soon!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood

Comments

Popular Posts