Sunday scones & sculptures

I'd promised myself to try to make some decent scones at the next given opportunity. This opportunity presented itself a couple of weekends ago, one lazy, grey Sunday afternoon.

I had spotted a basket of utterly delectable looking blueberries at my corner store, and decided that that would make the perfect accompaniment to my scones, especially since they came in this super cute basket. How could I resist?!



Like many things in life, the simpler, the better. This rule also applies to the scone recipe that we used at the Brookview Teahouse. I probably shouldn't be giving away our  trade-secrets, but the recipe included only three ingredients: self-raising flour, cream and…lemonade. The lemonade is the secret to the fluffiest scones, with an ever so slight crusty top!



Combine the scones with the blueberries and a dollop of cream, and you have achieved a culinary masterpiece.





Stuff some blueberry jam in there too, make yourself a strong cuppa and you'll have achieved the ultimate level of English sophistication.



Just look at that bad boy! Oozing creamy, blueberry goodness… 



Now you may be of the opinion that this would be a good point at which this post should've ended. But sometimes more is better, so on I go… 

I hand't only promised myself that I'd make scones, but I'd also promised Kathi. So what better way to celebrate her Danish adventure than with a final (for now!) park-picnic with scones?! (I should've made danishes come to think of it…)



Oh, and bubbles! Thankfully I remembered those too! 



I tried to be all cutesy with the straws, but the bubbles wouldn't have a bar of it and overflowed in protest every time we tried to sip it like classy ladies! 





Eventually we gave up, and sipped straight from the bottle as classily as we could, while munching away on our scones.

But we weren't the only ones who were keen on the scones, soon we had a tiny visitor.


How's that for a lucky sign?!
After a digestive nap, I dragged Kathi back into my 'hood where a few weeks ago, some  interesting sculptures had popped up. But first we came across one of my favourite Munich sights in all its evening sun splendor.





And just one more!



Shortly after we'd reached the artwork, an installation of some special "straw bales", dotted between the main museums and art galleries within Munich.



These bales aren't made of colored straw, but colored straws! 



I am generally pretty critical of "art", but art that you are allowed to climb on…Well I'm generally a fan of that. Over the Summer, these bales have provided the perfect hangout spot for tourists and students alike.



I love how the straws match the facade of the Museum Brandhorst



For any Munich residents: the Brandhorst also currently has a pretty cool exhibition featuring a guy called Cy Twombly, whose large scale 'Untitled (Roses)' I fell in love with. Even better: if you go on a Sunday (like almost all museums/galleries) it only costs one Euro - so no excuses! 

Back to the bales…I had been dying to jump on one every time I passed by them, and so I dragged Kathi along!

What I really wanted to do every time I'd seen these bales, is to play "bale-tiggy". This is a brilliant childhood game that we used to play when our paddocks had been mown and were filled with real hay-bales. The rules are, that one person is the tagger, each person has a "home base" aka a bale. When the tagger calls out, all participants must switch bales without getting caught. The joy is in trying to get onto the bale in a hurry. Surprisingly difficult when one is simultaneously giddy with excitement. I imagined this could be quite fun, but since it was just the two of us I thought I would restrain myself. 

I particularly liked the look of the blue and white one - reminded me of the Bavarian flag.



So up I jumped!



And Kathi followed suit!



A very happy memory to end with for the Munich Sunday-hangouts with Kathi. I look forward to the Copenhagen Sunday-sesh! 

Until then Kathi!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood

Comments

Popular Posts