Life's a beach in Munich

I've almost reached the end of my second week of the new job, and it's safe to say I've been swallowed back up by the routine of sleep, eat, work, repeat. At least the work is the challenge I needed, I'm getting quite the kick out of figuring out all these things I don't really how to do! Besides, it's keeping me out of trouble…Apart from at the weekends!  

The weather has got cold, wet and grey, which has left me feeling grateful for my brief period of unemployment - at least I got to make the most of that brilliant sunshine! 

While on my "involuntary holiday", I spent a lot of time with Nicole, aka Niccy. 


The clever Niccy got herself a new job as freelancer where she works Tuesday to Thursday. Which means she was one of the few people I could hang out with during the week, but more importantly she's one of the people I love hanging out with! There's always something to explore with Niccy.

When we weren't soaking up the sun in the 'Englischer Garten' stuffing our faces with juicy watermelon…



We went on little exploratory tours of the city. More specifically along the Western bank of the Isar, lined with the most majestic architecture.


I am particularly enchanted by this statue which marks one of the bridges. 


I would love to know whether that fairy creature has been sitting there since…1723/1813, or someone sat her there as a joke?


This church also fascinates me. I still find it mind boggling how humans built such structures hundreds of years ago.




Once you've reached this point, you can cross yet another bridge. This one leads not to the Eastern bank, but an island, the 'Museumsinsel' - 'museum island'. 



On the island, there are…museums! Surprise, surprise! I must admit that I am not a museum fan, of scientific museums anyway, especially not when I could be outdoors instead. But there is a different hidden treasure tucked away on the island - a sandy spot almost reminiscent of a beach! Because what kind of island would it be without a beach?!

To get to the sandy part, one must sneak around this the corner of this path, which is so covered in "tree fluff" (yes I do believe that is the scientific term!), it almost looks as if it's covered in snow.


Before you reach the beach. The beach known as 'Praterstrand'.


Including sea views! :)

There's even a pool! It's a bit tiny, more like a toddling pool, but a pool nonetheless.


Niccy and I plonked ourselves in a couple of the lazy loungers and enjoyed a drink - alcohol-free! It was only 11am after all.


And enjoyed the rustle of the leaves above.


It wasn't long before we suffered a serious case of food-envy! Our "seat-neighbours" ordered a couple of bangin' burgers!! I tried to get a sneaky pic, but the palm fronds got in the way! Damn, guess I'll just have to go back and order one myself… 

As Niccy summed up perfectly, it was a… 


And there was another stunning conclusion to the day:


As if someone had scribbled across the sky.


I visited the 'Strand' with a couple of friends the following weekend, as we wanted to test the burgers. Unfortunately there had been an epic beach-rave party, and by the time we finally got there the burgers had sold out! So it remains on "The List", but I will be back as soon as the sun returns!

I hope that's soon! Although I do love falling asleep to the pitter-patter of rain dancing on the roof… 

Sweet dreams!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts