Sail away with me

The past couple of weeks haven't exactly been smooth sailing. The day of my return from my three week holiday, I was made redundant. Since then, the pressure has been on to find a new job, since I will have to find a new home again in a few weeks, and presently have no idea what I will actually be able to afford. A bit of a worry.

Thankfully while still in New Zealand, I had learned how to deal with a turbulent sea, when friends took us out for a sail.


Skipper SoulFood aboard!
View of Rangitoto Volcano.

Any day spent in or out on the water is worth a celebratory drink. Captain Uli had the right protective gloves to pop the cork in a most spectacular fashion.




By this time, we were well out of the protective engulf of the harbour. Things soon got exciting as the boat tipped on its side. Papa was struggling to stay on his side of the boat...


Mama was struggling to control her alcohol-filled glass and not losing the cake overboard!


While the experienced sailors leaned back and relaxed…




Though it didn't take long before Papa got comfortable as well. Perhaps a bit too comfortable? I would go as far as to say - give a man a toy...


...and he will behave like a boy?


Ah yes…we do sometimes refer to him as Mr. Bean.

You can call him the wave-rider! :)

While Papa continued to entertain the crew, I was busy scoping out our competition.



Before there was cake.

Cake with a view.
Clearly cake makes me happy.
With newly gained strength, I was ready to take over the helm with cues from Captain Uli.


I must admit, he'd made it look bloody easy! Every time I could feel the boat going off course, seemingly tipping into the ocean, I over corrected and we tipped in the other direction. I'm surprised I didn't make myself seasick. In the end I learned, that you have to be gentle. Gentle, and patient. You only nudge it back in the right direction and it will easy its way upright, back on course.


I'm not sure whether it was the chilly seawind or that she was scared of my "technique" but Mama went into hiding under her blankie…




And so I sailed her back home, into the sunset.


Well they say a calm sea never made a skilled sailor. So I guess this is just a little test of how well I can apply my new sailing skills to this thing called life. Despite its turbulence, there's no point in forcing anything, you just gotta give it a little nudge, sit back and go with the wind.

Thanks to Susanne and Uli for this splendid outing!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts