Magnolia, Mezcal & a Manhattan sunset

On the morning of day two of our NYC adventure, it was still looking dreary outside.


But we had an entire island to explore, so the weather wasn't going to stop us! And so we headed to Manhattan.





We were headed for a very special place. A place instantly recognised by women around the globe - the original Magnolia Bakery. And as we reached this special place, the sun decided to shine!




And don't I just look excited to get in…my bad. Evidently need to work on my posing for paparazzi Nicola.
Unfortunately I didn't manage to get any pictures of the interior. It's quite teeny inside, obviously busy, and quite frankly it would have been cruel to show pictures of the goodies contained within. I left with this beautiful box:



But before we were ready to tuck in, we decided to stop by Carrie's place to see if she wanted to join us.


  
We waited patiently, and finally - she emerged!


Some very crafty photoshopping on my behalf no?! ;)
She muttered something about having to get her hands on the new Spring Blahniks. We were desperate to dig into our cupcakes, so we sought out a suitably sunny bench and tucked into…breakfast!


Red Velvet & Chocolate Nougat
I had been pleasantly surprised by the prices, considering its popularity with the tourists, but we were even more surprised by the unexpectedly good flavour! 






Nnnnnnnougat...


On our sugar high we felt ready to take on the buzz of Times Square.


N desperately wanted to get one of those caricatures of herself, so that's what we did.


While N posed, I took in the sights behind me and played bag-holder.



Which accidentally distracted N a little.


So I looked over the "artist's" shoulder instead. He got the sparkle in her eyes alright, but sadly this was the highlight of the drawing…


I didn't feel the need to pose, since they were already selling my picture…


We let ourselves be pulled along by the crowd.


Just in case we forgot where we were…





While we were strolling along gazing at the sky, we were approached by a guy from the Late Show. We failed to answer the question correctly to win tickets, but decided to get our names put on the standby-list for the chance to experience a live-show - only in America! 

Problem was that we had to be back at the Late Show box-office just an hour later, to see whether we had got tickets or not. We had planned to have our first lobster roll at a restaurant in West Village, but there was no way we would've made it in an hour.

So we headed to McDonald's. Not to eat! Just to make use of the wifi and suss out a plan b. N did a spot of research and we headed for a Mexican place just behind Times Square called Toloache.

Well it was quite the discovery! We got a prized window seat and N was chuffed with herself - and rightly so!



To celebrate, we ordered cocktails. Naturally (it was after noon, I think!).


Upon recommendation of the very charming waiter, I went with an unusual sounding 'Mezcal'-concoction. I like to know about my poison prior to consuming it, so the waiter explained: Mezcal is a liquor made from a native Mexican Agave. He also informed me that Tequila is merely a type of Mezcal made from the Blue Agave from select regions of Me-HI-co! Kind of like what Champagne is of bubbles! I knew I was actually being fancy every time I had a Tequila shot! 


It was mixed with burnt pineapple juice and coriander. What really made this a cracking cocktail however was that chili-rimmed glass! Every time I took a sip...PEOW!

The couple at the table next to us seemed well-versed with Toloache's menu. Everything that arrived at their table looked amazing, so we played copycat. 

Starting with the 'Trio de Guacamoles': Regular Guac, a spicy version with chili and queso fresco, and "sweet" version, with mango, melon and pomegranate seeds. All were very moreish!


Sadly avo is pretty filling, so we had to skip the fish tacos as the neighbours had ordered, and went straight to the 'Quesadilla de Huitlacoche & Trufas' - Manchego cheese, corn, black truffle crema & huitlacoche salsa, served with rice and beans.


Now on the one hand I was glad that N decided to share this dish with me, so I got a much needed fix of my latest addiction - truffle - but once it arrived and I took the first bite, I really just wanted it all to myself…and two more! But great friends share in the toughest of times, so I shared fair and square. 

We returned to the Late Show queue, and missed out by just two people in front of us. Ah well, next time? We moved on to SoHo and Canal Street via the very grand Grand Central.




After our feet felt like two big blisters we subwayed back home for a much needed rest. This quirky facade around the corner from our crib encouraged us to drag ourselves the last few hundred meters home.

Brave & strong.
I love the contrast of the delicate tiles against the rough graffiti.

When we got home, we got our leftover takeaways out of the largest fridge everrrr!

And it's not even fully opened!
I've heard of people finding it impossible to find an affordable living space in NYC. Well perhaps someone could live in here? I would.


Enough of that. With another bottle of vino, more cheese, crackers and of course our leftovers in tow, we christened our balcony. The sun was just setting, bathing the city in a golden glow.


We gave N's little sis a call to catch her up...


…and appreciated the view.


Oh yeah, and this view too.

"New York, Neeew Yooork!…"

I think this was the moment it finally hit me I was in the one, the only, New York City.


We sat, and just kind of took it in. With BROODS playing softly in the background, we watched as night draped a blanket over the Manhattan skyline.





"…big lights will inspire you!"

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts