My little pony & 'Petey's Paella'

As well as catching up with human family, I also got to pay a special visit to a four-legged family member - my little pony Coffee! 


Think he was a bit suspicious at first.
Coffee is definitely the problem-child in the SoulFood family (takes the pressure off me at least!). He has a bit of a rough past, as his first owners treated him like their organic waste refusal (he will attempt to eat anything, from gravel, to sunscreen to scarves…). Furthermore he was left in the paddock by himself, so he still has anxiety issues about leaving his horsey mates. To top it all off, he has a potentially fatal hoof-condition which has to be very carefully monitored. 

But I soon got a hug.
Despite all these "special features", he is the best pony I could've learned to ride on - and broken in simultaneously! And if there is one thing he taught me, it was patience. I lost count of how many times I fell off. I really took the saying "getting back on the horse" a bit too much to heart. How many times I had to soak his hooves, standing in the mud and pouring rain. The times he would not take one more step away from his friends in the paddock, but walk back up the entire driveway backwards no matter how much I kicked and screamed. 

"Alright, alright, let's not get carried away on the cuddles lady…"
"C'mon Coffee, focus on the camera!"
"Ah nah…I find your legs far more interesting."
Often, he frustrated me to tears. But like any relationship it takes effort and time to build trust. And the times he would stop as soon as he could tell I was about to fall off, the times he would let me sit on him as he was lying down, or the times he would nuzzle my neck when he could sense I was feeling sad, all more than made up for the tears.


We soon went from pony to paella. But not just any paella, 'Petey's Paella'. Lynne and Pete are like my adopted "Kiwi" grandparents. Of course they aren't quite old enough…but they are like family. Lynney's encouragement also helped me start, and continue this blog, and working for her at The Brookview Teahouse, honed my skills as SoulFood appreciator. 

Petey is also a SoulFood appreciator. He is also a bit of a hunter and gatherer, and prefers to prepare his meals in much the same environment. 


His wild and wonderful set up!
I had heard rave reviews about his paella. Hence my mouth began to water as soon as the invitation for 'Pete's Paella Night' had been made official!

When we arrived, the pièce de résistance was already smouldering away.



In the kitchen I spied some glistening jewels Pete had gathered from the sea.




Aren't they beautiful?!
Next I spotted Lynne, more affectionately known as Gran. She too had been busy preparing dessert. So I was even more excited to see her!



The men hung around the fire.



Well, the men and Izzy, one of Lynne's "real" granddaughters.



I imagine she was quite fascinated by the fire. I don't blame her, there's just something so mesmerising about the crimson glow and licking flames.



The other granddaughter, Lottie, was busy hiding behind Gran. Don't blame her either!



Ray-Ray was there too of course! 


…with our Berlin friend Sebastian hiding behind her.
After we'd helped Gran clean up the kitchen, it was time for presents. Not sure why I deserved them, but of course I loved them. Ray-Ray is very literate, and I have always told her I want to publish her writing one day. Well now she kind of beat me to it, since she made me an album filled with her writing (some about me!), so I could carry a part of her back to Germany with me.

From Gran and Petey I got a new dressing gown - sunshine yellow and filled with blossoms! I can't help but feel fabulous when I put it on!

Then we got down to business. Beginning with a zesty tomato bruschetta, rubbed with fresh garlic (no vampires that night!).



Followed by the glorious scallops. Topped simply with a smidgen of fresh herbs and breadcrumbs.


Heaven in a shell.
All this time, Petey had been manning the paella. 





But just as the fish went in, he disappeared, leaving me in charge of the pièce de résistance! No pressure


Do I look cool, calm and collected?
Apparently I was a bit too vigorous in my stirring, and almost messed up the desired burnt bottom. Almost! Thankfully I had Ray-Ray at my side to keep me calm until the paella-meister returned, and I could stick to watching and learning.


The finishing touch: a few lobster legs.
And before we knew it, Petey's Paella was ready for tasting!



Ladies and gentlemen, may I present - Petey's Paella!


Stunning.
BOOM! A round of applause for the man himself!



We all got stuck in.



Had seconds and thirds, until every part of the perfectly burnt bottom had vanished.



As if that hadn't been enough of a feast, Gran soon whisked out her tart - guava and custard-something (???) with rosemary cream.





Also well done Gran!

Isn't she cute?! We could totally be related.
It's really quite ridiculous how the two of them were competing for my love and judgement as to whose dish was better…Well sorry to disappoint you Lynney and Petey, but it's a clear tie. 

Thank you for a perfect evening. I wish I could have paella night at least once a week with you! 

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts