Birthday weekend

This weekend was a friend's birthday bonanza. We celebrated into it on Friday, and out of it on Saturday. And as a very lazy (hungover) Sunday comes to an end, I must admit that I don't remember the last time I was looking forward to "going to bed" quite so much. Especially after not really having left it the entire day...

This reminded me that I still have my own birthday weekend to report on!

It began a day before, on Schoeli's birthday. Months ago, when we were still working together, she had sounded enthusiastic about wanting to try the traditional Kiwi classic that is - a pavlova, aka pav! And what better occasion for pav, than a birthday?! 

I must say, I was quite impressed with my work:



And apparently, so was Schoeli!





She had mentioned that we could drop by anytime and that there would be veggie soup and homemade eggnog. I like Schoeli enough to want to wish her a happy birthday personally, but the eggnog was the real reason I came. Once you've had a shot of this stuff, there's no stopping! It's like a silky, smooth vanilla-ry dessert potion. It's the kind that makes you want to lick every last drop out of the glass...yeahhh...I did...but in this case there's no shame in that! 

What she hadn't mentioned however, was that there would be cake. Of course one expects some cake at birthday gatherings. But I was dismayed to discover there were already three different cakes and tiramisu! 



As proud as I was of my pav, I feared that it would go to waste, since the others had already stuffed themselves with the other cakes. Turns out that was an irrational fear, as half the pav disappeared by the time I had just finished my soup!



After several hours of cake-testing, chit-chatting and downing one eggnog shot after another, we were all feeling a little beat. Basti most of all...


But who could blame him, he had baked all those cakes and made the most beautiful tiramisu for his mountain-loving Schoeli!



With the knowledge that I had a day at the mountains to look forward to the following day - my birthday - I soon headed home for a sweet, eggnog-soaked sleep. 

My ride and company for the day was Julia, who had also taken the day off to spend with me and make a well overdue trip to the mountains possible!

I was greeted with this:



But there was no time to get sentimental, the mountains were calling, and we were on our way!







We arrived just 1.5 hours later, and the weather was glorious! After our first birthday Schnapps from the boys at the ski-rental, we were ready to hit the piste. Almost. Schoeli had also gifted me a Northern-Germany specialty (more Schnapps), so we downed that once we reached the top of the mountain and appreciated the view...






We took a couple of selfies, before skiing our hearts out!


And soon we were ready for our first break...



A few jokers were also on the loose!


Soon it was time for lunch - a good portion of Spaetzle (a kind of Bavarian mac'n'cheese), and Kaiserschmarrn.


Really I wanted to stop by this hut for lunch, but I'm not sure its owner's would've appreciated two more for lunch, besides, the pot chilling on the balcony would suggest they had already eaten.


With my strength regained, I felt ready to take on one of the jumps of the 'funpark'. The first attempt went surprisingly well, so I figured I could get Julia to capture photographic evidence of my second time down. This was to be bigger and better than the first. Well, that was the mistake...I just got a bit too big for my skiboots and ended up nailing one of my butt cheeks. Here's what the lead up to that looked like:


I was doomed...
The second jump also wasn't much of a success.

...a whole 20cm of air right there! :P
And so with 22 years I came to the realisation that ski-jumping probably isn't one of my strengths. But food appreciation is! :) 

So after almost missing the last lift run we headed back to the city. After a run-through shower, and slap on of dress and make-up, I boosted to dinner. It had been Caro's birthday the previous week, and she had organised a joined birthday dinner at Passaparola.


Good job Caro! :)


Sabrina had driven into the city especially for the occasion so we decided to finish the night with a round of cocktails. But not before dessert...


...in the tram on the way there. Because we're all class!

The perfect end to a fabulous day! Of course I missed the parentals and getting spoiled by them. But I know they will more than make up for it when I see them in just a week!!! 

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts