Mama's special day

On day three, it was Mama's special day. Being the fabulous daughter that I am, I baked her a fabulous Ferrero Rocher Torte. A friend of mine had recently inspired me with a mouthwatering image of her Ferrero Rocher masterpiece. We kind of made up our own by folding some crushed Ferrero Rochers through the dough of some nutty, chocolatey recipe. Fortunately it worked out rather well.


Papa had organised some stunning, velvety red roses.


From 11am - 2pm some of Mama's ladies dropped by for nibbles, bubbles and of course some cake. Because as the wise Julia Child educated us "A party without cake is just a meeting."!


Mama's artichoke, spinach filo puffs.
Prawns atop cucumber, avo & ajvar.
Since I've been away, one of my ladies has suddenly also become one of Mama's ladies! I knew Mama and Ray-Ray had been hanging out. Most probably exchanging stories about me...However I never considered they would become friends, let alone that Ray-Ray may take my place as the new SoulFood daughter!! I mean one couldn't blame Mama for wanting to adopt her! And when she arrived with this bouquet...




 ...well quite frankly I knew my daughterly existence was under threat! So in the spirit of keeping friends close, but enemies closer, I spent the afternoon trying to get Ray-Ray drunk in the hope of extracting some information that I could possibly use against her. A grand plan - I know! Well, until we were as tipsy as each other.


After everyone had left, we had planned on taking a recovery nap, prior to heading into the city for a fancy family dinner. But instead of napping, we headed to the pool to continue the silliness.


Gorgeous Ray-Ray!
Almost as gorgeous as Ray-Ray, are the Hibiscus growing around the pool.







I'm a bit obsessed.



 But I'm sure Bumble is too!



Now generally I don't like splitting up posts, but since I still have a heap of packing to do, and plenty of last minute New York business to attend to. So I will have to leave you hanging until next time for the fancy family dinner part of Mama's birthday.

But don't be upset, the only person that will truly be upset today is me having to leave Papa and my stunner of a Mama behind...


I'm so glad I ended up as her daughter. She has done everything within her powers (which I believe to be superhuman), to fulfill my every wish while I've been back at home. After over a year, I desperately needed some "spoiled-by-Mama" time, and although she cooked her heart and soul out for me, nothing speaks to the soul like a Mama-cuddle. Thanks for everything Mama (and Papa)!

While I know that the scenes at the Auckland departure gate will be traumatic this evening, I thankfully have this soul-sister waiting for me in the city of dreams, the one, the only, classiest of Classy Birds...Princess N.


See you on the other side Princess!

Yours truly,
Duchess x

Comments

Popular Posts