The Kiwi adventure - Day one

I know...I lied to you once again. The first Kiwi post never came "tomorrow". The truth is, jetlag just got the better of me and I crashed out on the couch at 9pm. The post never even came the day after "tomorrow" (aka the day before yesterday), because it was Mama SoulFood's special day, and there simply wasn't time. But no time like the present to launch into my first day back in Kiwiland after one year in Munich...

I hadn't seen Mama for over a year (I really don't know how I coped?!), so you can imagine it was a reunion of emotionally epic proportions. There was a flood of tears. 

I arrived in Auckland around 6am, so in good time for my favourite meal of the day - breakfast! Especially after 30 hours filled with underwhelming plane food...

Waiting in the car for me was a pre-ordered portion of my favourite NZ fruit, feijoas!!!


No, not hairless kiwifruit..Feijoas!
In case you haven't had the pleasure of experiencing a feijoa, you really haven't lived. One really can't describe their unique flavour, you just have to come to NZ and try one for yourself! Luckily we have a hedge of trees in our garden, so I can stuff myself with them every morning until my tummy hurts.

But as much as I love fruit, it merely ever counts as a component of my breakfast. Thankfully Mama agrees with this, and had already scouted out the perfect place for breakfast in the Auckland suburb of Mt. Eden. As any member of the SoulFood family she is sure to do her research and the website stated they open at 6:30am. Well apparently they had a lazy morning because when we arrived at 6:30am, the cafe was still dark...What now? 

The sun was just beginning to rise behind Mt. Eden. Generally it is possible to drive to the top, but only after 7am. But my instincts were telling me there was an adventure to be had with an impromptu climb up the mountain. We weren't exactly dressed for the occasion, Mama least of all with her strappy, heeled sandals...



...But she's not one to let her footwear stop her taking life in her stride, and so we began our mission up some random track through the bush!

NZ flax and view over to One Tree Hill.
As joggers dressed in their finest fitness gear passed us with a cheeky "looking good!", we had no choice but not to take ourselves seriously. 

And soon we'd reached the top of the mountain. 


Now in case you're wondering what that crater-like hole on top of the mountain is -
Mt. Eden isn't actually a mountain, but one of Auckland's many volcanoes. But don't worry, it's been behaving itself for the past 28,000 years or so.  

Bit of morning luvin'.
'Rangitoto' - another volcano in the background.


As the sun rose out of the ocean, and the wind whipped our faces we took a moment to take it all in.




Where's Munich?! - Really can't get much further.
Soon our stomachs began to rumble, and we feared the moody weather was brewing up a storm. So we made haste to return to our breakfast location; Olaf's. Now 'Olaf' isn't exactly a Kiwi name, and indeed Olaf is actually a German trained baker who opened up this cafe featuring artisan breads. He's got the best of both worlds!

You can watch the masters at work right there.

 
The curtain adds a touch of drama to the stage of bread crafting.
View back up to Mt. Eden.
We struggled to decide from the plethora of savories and sweets.



Just as my indecisiveness was peaking my Ray-Ray walked in the door. This really shouldn't have surprised me because Mama is infamous for her surprises, and I should've expected she organise some cameo appearance! But this was a more than pleasant surprise!

So glad to have my Ray-Ray back for a bit.
Discussing their sneaky ways...
While Papa just went about reading the paper.



For breakkie Papa had the 'Barley Porridge with Quince Sauce'. I really struggle to find eating-pleasure in porridge due to its texture, but the barley version was alright since it had a bit more bite to it.




Also not sure it was quince sauce? I thought quince was yellow???
Ray-Ray, Mama and I shared a savory brioche, savory scone and the 'Spelt Pancakes with Blackberry Compote & Butterscotch' which were all solidly tasty!




After we left a mess...





The Three Musketeers headed on home.

The Three (SoulFood) Musketeers united again!
Home in time for...lunch!


Featuring my favourite ciabatta made by Mama.



And her latest thing - feijoa, avocado and smoked fish salad.





Despite being a salad, this is pretty full on! It's still healthy with all those Omega 3s and fatty acids, and you'll want to eat the entire bowl full. But, it is super rich, so moderation is the key to enjoyment here.

With a full and happy belly, Mama allowed me a bit of a snooze, in the hope that I would last til dinner. 


And more importantly, bubbles!



It seems the nap made all the difference and I managed to stay up til 1am. Before finally snuggling up back in my bed, there was one more little surprise waiting for me in my room. 


It's good to be home.

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts