Ski-fun I

New Years came, New Years went. At the beginning of my "holiday", I knew it wasn't going to be the holiday I needed (lie somewhere and do "nothing" for a week or two), as I knew I would have to move out, find a new place to move into (yes, still…), visit family, and catch up with friends. 

The moving out part has been ticked off, even if with some unnecessary drama. The "finding a new home" stress has been temporarily relieved, as I will be moving back in with our family friends for a while, who I lived with when I first moved to Munich and who also saved me by helping move all my stuff out of the old flat. I don't know what I would've done without them…THAAANK YOUUU!!!

Today I was going head to Austria to visit my grandparents which I was going to combine with some skiing. Well that was before my Oma got sick. Poor Oma. So while I am still hanging out for an opportunity to go skiing, I thought I could use this time to catch you up on my first ski trip for the season.

Twas almost a month ago now, my colleague and friend "Schoeli" spontaneously asked whether I would like to join her, her boyfriend Basti, as well as our our colleague and friend Moritz on their ski trip. Ever the "yes" woman, I agreed! 

Since we were leaving in the wee hours of the morning, I already made my way to Schoeli and Basti's place the night before to crash on their couch for the night so no time would be wasted in the morning...

Schoeli & Basti.
…although the above photo was still taken in the evening. As you can see, Schoeli and Basti have a great sense of humor. We met Moritz in the morning and embarked on the three hour drive. 

While Moritz and I chatted, Schoeli and Basti played sleeping beauties in the back:

That's love… :)
As the sun rose higher, the mountains got closer.


Since it was very early in the season, and most ski fields weren't open yet, we were heading for the highest of heights, a glacier. I have to be honest, as we were sitting or rather being shaken about in the gondola by the blustery glacial wind with the view below, I had serious doubts about whether I would ever make it back down from this mountain.


The guys looked a bit too serious for my liking as well


But when we reached the top of the beast, and broke through the thickest of clouds, it was kind of magical.




It felt like we were on top of the world. And we ladies were very happy about it.


As the day went on, it got clearer and clearer until the sun was out.





Nice selfie Basti!


The crew.
The crazy crew.
After all that exercise, fresh air and sunshine, I think we were all a bit high on life!


Moritz and I had to make sure Schoeli and Basti didn't ignite any sparks in the gondola on the way back down…


Fun aside, there had actually been an avalanche right beside the piste that afternoon, and the local rescue team dug for two hours to ensure no one had got buried. So my fears about not making it back down from the mountain hadn't been completely irrational, but thankfully none got hurt and we lived to tell the tale.



And so ended a perfect day. Almost, we still had a three hour drive back home, and to this day I don't know how Moritz did it! I slept the entire way. I still owe him a Schnapps for his efforts! 

Speaking of sleeping, I am presently chilling in Schoeli and Basti's bed. No not with them…They were kind enough to let me take over their flat while they are on holiday in Oman (little bit fancy eh?!) before I move to our family friend's place on the 6th. 

I was a bit weary about staying at someone's home while they aren't even home themselves, but don't worry guys, I've made myself very much at home in your bed now. You may not get me out of it! :)

During the lengthy process of writing this post, I also had an offer to visit some other family friends for more skiing in Austria over the weekend. And once again, I'm feeling like the luckiest girl alive.

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts