A belated "half-family" Christmas

So it's almost the end of January and I'm only just catching up from Christmas and New Years. I mentioned that I am no longer a Christmas fan, but since I haven't even had time for many blog worthy adventures this month, and Mama and Papa SoulFood never got to see what their darling daughter and the rest of the family got up to on this side of the world, I figured it couldn't hurt to share some belated Christmas photos. 

Since I only went on holiday three days before Christmas Eve (which is what the Germans celebrate), there was some very belated Christmas shopping to be done in an overcrowded inner city. That didn't stop me from appreciating the Munich landmarks in all their setting-sun-dipped glory.









Once the presents were sorted I could escape the hustle and bustle of the city to head to the family, where there was a Christmas tree still to be decorated. Guess who's job that was... :)


It wasn't the most picture perfect tree, it would never have been up to Mama SoulFood's standards, but I think every tree deserves to become the star for one night. It all comes down to the decorating. It was probably the highlight of my Christmas, as I blasted Pharrell Williams' 'Happy' and worked my magic for a couple of hours. Very satisfying.




Next up, the Christmas menu. Everyone knows the culinary aspect of Christmas is one of the most important. As a main, my aunty prepared a venison roast shot by the local hunter and appreciated by everyone. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of this, but I only ended up eating the sides (red cabbage and dumplings with gravy) anyway. 

I threw together the entree featuring smoked 'Saibling' (which the German-English dictionary is telling me is 'char'?). My colleague's boyfriend is a fisherman at one of the local lakes and she had asked around work who wanted to order, so I ordered for the nine of us. 

Since the fish was to remain the hero of the dish, we chucked on some lamb's lettuce & raddicchio with a raspberry dressing and creamy horseradish. It doesn't look outrageously exciting, but I must admit the flavour combo of the smooth, oily fish, crunchy greens, slight bitterness of the raddicchio, tart raspberry and creamy horseradish - excellent!




Even my meat-loving cousin got kind of excited about it!
After dessert (a kind of baked apple pastry roll with vanilla ice cream!), the main event of the night - the illumination of the tree...

Glorious! What a bit of advantageous lighting can do...

Because the tree is so beautiful, you have to sing to it a while, before you're allowed to steal the presents at its feet.


Apparently the little cousin can't focus the camera, and the big cousin had too much of the roast...
A stylish trio with bow tie and Christmas jumper!
One more team photo, before everyone settled down for the unwrapping spectacle...




And tucking into the pile of Christmas cookies!
In the end we were glad the day was over. Some more than others...
...
And so a Christmas with half the family concluded for another year. Of course there was a highlight present...

After two years of not knowing which was the "right colour" of this perfume, Santa finally got it right! Thanks Mama & Papa, hope you enjoyed the post!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts