A compromise - Running sushi

Though I've still been getting my partying fix lately, it has been at the cost of soulfood-appreciation time. So far this year I have only just managed to keep feeding myself (just!). Even so my body has started to get used to not being fed at dinnertime, since I no longer have the energy or appetite when I finally make it through the door. 

Now for a SoulFood Fräulein, this state is not only detrimental to the health, which is why I am now in bed sick (yay.) but more concerningly, the soul! 

Soulfood should never be rushed, it cannot simply be gobbled up, swallowed after two chews. It should be savoured, the depth of flavour tasted with each individual tastebud. Soulfood must be appreciated. One needs an open-ended evening in great company, where one is not constantly checking the time whether it is not getting too late, or because one needs to be somewhere else after. 

Unfortunately I really haven't been able to make time for those kinds of evenings lately, because generally there has been somewhere I've needed to be after, generally -bed. 

So while desperately attempting to regain some of this soulfood-appreciation time bit by bit, I jumped at the chance for a kind of "compromise" with my two colleagues and friends Lüfchen and Aline. 

The compromise being, that while I knew "running sushi" could never be under the Fräulein's definition of soulfood-appreciation, (the name already stresses me out!) this was to be a dinner out. And since that day I couldn't even recall the last time I had had dinner, let alone dinner out, I was excited.

Furthermore I figured this would be a sure-fire way to satisfy my sushi-cravings! Back in Auckland sushi was my favourite "fast food". On every second street corner one could snap up a box of sushi for five bucks! Of course we have other "fast food" options here like for example "Leberkassemmel" (more about that another time!), but sushi isn't one of them.

So Lüfchen made reservations. Since they were already fully booked at "prime time" (6pm-8pm) we reserved for 5:30pm, yet we had every intention of staying as long as we could!  

We began our evening in a civilised manner, as the first dishes floated by on the conveyor belt...






However, inevitably it soon turned into a sushi-feeding-frenzy...

Oops. How did that happen???
Even the little guy at the table next to us was impressed.
Lüfchen looked mildly concerned.
But only for the briefest of moments!
And soon enough dessert rolled around. "Dessert" wasn't exciting per se, orange slices and chocolate pudding. But in combination they provided a welcome break from the kilos of rice we must have consumed.


So after we'd each had three or four, or five chocolate puddings...



...we were feeling like we were carrying one of those little fellas from the table next to us in our tummies. It hurt to walk. That's the irony of "running sushi", the sushi ends up "running" past you faster than you can walk after. And you have to do a load of running (approximately a week later...) to burn off the calories you consumed over two hours.

In the end, the kind waitress asked to clear our table since "they were running out of dishes". :)


I was very proud of the girls.

We decided that the only way the super-sushi in our tummies could be broken down would be with the help of a digestiv at Cord Club. Upon entering we were told, or rather warned that it was "open stage" night, which meant anyone who felt the urge could get up on stage and perform something. 

There were some comedians, some musicians and some I couldn't even classify, let's just stick with "performers" -all entertaining in their own way. My favourite part of the bar however was the cozy lounge corner we had claimed our own with this image:


I'll drink to that.
And on the way home we stumbled across this very cool ad...


Indeed, aren't we all?!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts