Working Wiesn

You're probably sick of reading about Wiesn by now...so I'll apologise in advance, but I still have a few photos to share, and I just feel wrong if I just leave them sitting in my iPhotos! To make it a little more tolerable for you, today's post actually features a work outing that we had during "Wiesn season". 

Yes, it would've been easy to forget that in between my 11 Wiesn visits I was also working fulltime. Oh the joy! Sarcasm aside, I am actually quite enjoying the work I am doing now, although I am still struggling to adjust to the "agency" hours (10am starts, but open end finishes...). 

Since we didn't go on an official company Oktoberfest trip, as is usual for most companies based in Munich, our Creative Department was treated to "Burgers & Bowling" at 'Theresa' instead. 

Upon entering I was immediately impressed.
 



But as much as I was impressed by the industrial yet cozy interior, what I was really curious to discover was the cellar which supposedly housed the bowling lane. And indeed, there it was, tucked around the corner of the private lounge...


Ready for action! But first we had to wait for all ten of us to arrive while savouring some nibbles.


This huge tray of equally huge slices of German sourdough bread made its way to our table. There were some topped with slices of seared beef and a bechamel-type sauce, ones with serrano ham, others with smoked trout mousse and for the veggies, a thick smear of unsalted butter, sliced radishes and chives. Some savoured more than others...

...for example our Creative Director, was pretty keen to get stuck in!
The rest of them arrived, and it was onto mains, burgers.

Yeah, our Art Director Timm is used to being outnumbered.
As Theresa unfortunately doesn't offer a veggie burger, I had the pasta alternative. It doesn't look too spectacular (mostly the photographer's fault...), but these homemade pasta pockets were a winner.


I can't even really tell you what they were filled with, I suspect some kind of wild mushroom paste, which had an almost gamey flavour, which along with the Chanterelle mushrooms and tart sweetness of the cranberries was divine.

After we were fed and "watered", it was time for that bowling action.


By which time the boss, "Floko" had joined us after his Wiesn duties. Hence why he was still in his Lederhosn...



Since the middle keg had been knocked out for good, we weren't exactly sure of how we were supposed to play/score as teams, but I had no problem working out our very original team names...

Naturally I was on the winning team!
Now what did this really have to do with Wiesn, you'll be wondering. Well apart from being during Oktoberfest, not a lot, but I needed an excuse to incorporate the following photos, which were taken at an actual Wiesn outing with my other colleagues...There are a lot more, but since they haven't even had the chance to check them out themselves yet, I thought I'd just share the team photo.

The crew!
And these! Of Nina aka 'Shaqui' (she plays basketball for Bayern) and Sabrina (on the right), who started her internship two days before me, and oh how glad I am about that. She is my saving grace at work! Can you tell why?!




Because she is cheeky. I like cheeky peeps! Here, she has kindly planted some parsley on my head. I really don't know how she managed to stay serious in this photo...


...Not for long I guess! While Nina was obviously shocked about the "half-empty" state of her Mass.

Since Sabrina is in the Project Department, she has been "on-location" and out of the office for the past week, and I have missed her wacky ways dearly. I really wasn't sure how I was supposed to cope for three weeks without our kitchen chats in "Bavarian English"! 

Thankfully I have been granted a new desk partner in crime, our new design intern Lisa, who I have already had a great night out with! And when I found out Sabrina would be returning prematurely, on her birthday, my week was made! 

As I've mentioned, this internship hasn't been easy, adjusting to the "agency hours" when I am actually a morning person, hours of partially futile image research, speaking/dealing in "work" German...I almost feel sick with nervousness every time I have to speak "business" German to a stranger on the phone, inquiring and requesting things about which I really have no clue. But it gets my heart racing, so I need to practice. And Tuesday will be the ultimate test. As I may have to sporadically (wo)man the reception...I expect I will accidentally end up hanging up on a few people instead of transferring them...Wish me luck?! 

But what I really wanted to say is, that I think I'm realising that of course it matters what you do for work, but what matters more are the people you do that work with.

I know, very insightful of me! :) Well, those are my 5 cents worth for today.

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts