Wiesn way of life

As I feared, the past month has been a "Wiesn- (Bavarian locals' name for Oktoberfest) whirlwind"! And as predicted, this also meant no time for blog writing and curating. However, plenty of collecting of blog material! So much so in fact, that after only two weeks of Wiesn, it has taken me another two weeks alongside pitch deadlines at work, a wedding and flathunting, just to figure out how to best break up the "Wiesn-ness"!

How did I do it in the end?! I didn't, I couldn't...What you're about to scroll through are the best, the bad, and even some of the ugly of the 11 days that were Oktoberfest 2013.

So without further ado, in no particular order not quite 12 days of Christmas (yet!), but 11 days of Oktoberfest...11 days out of two weeks. Mama is very proud! :)


I didn't even intend to go on the first weekend, as this is when everyone goes, but alas it was a glorious day and so I was dragged along...
Nothing like a casual wander through the scent of caramelised almonds, roast chicken, popcorn, and the odd waft of vomit...unfortunately all part of the package...
 
...before you snort a pinch of "Wiesn Coke" (as demonstrated by Lisa & her sister Tanja). Never fear, it's only a kind of peppermint powder that will ensure your airways are free to soak up all those aforementioned scents. It should not be left on your face.


Before making your way into a tent and enjoying some lunch. Nooo not just beer, actual food.
You could go for pig's knuckle, but the vegetarians would opt for... 
...a 'Dampfnudel' with vanilla sauce...


While appreciating the Bavarian sky above...
...and the masses below...
You could head back outside to make the most of the stunning evening light.



And have your photos bombed by crazy Italianos!
Before the sun sets on another day.
And another day...
...and another.
For your evening Wiesn experience, you may have changed tents. And you may be feeling that second Mass of beer (would look something like above)...
Never fear! Jump up on the bench anyway, because there is always some local behind you that will keep you standing upright. Furthermore, as well as tents, you magically changed your Dirndl...
...as well as acquired some hats!
That you may have borrowed from a couple of hilarious Swiss twins that you befriended. Generally you befriend a lot of lovely strangers...
...like this lovely old couple that was still rocking out to Robby Williams' 'Angels'. I was a fan. In fifty (?) years, that'll be me.
...or these two lovely fellas. But don't worry Mama, we stayed 'friends only'. Because as lovely as they may be, we girls know that at Oktoberfest, any guy without a Lederhosn is not to be taken seriously...
...not seriously at all!
According to Lisa, guys who carry your handbag for you should. I think that's a little over the top....
...all I expect is a little Champagne...
...which this gentleman was kind enough to provide. I was supposed to send him all the pictures, but apparently he was too drunk to give me his correct email address. If you recognise your Champagne showered outfit, hit me up! :)
If you find yourself drinking Champagne from a beer stine (blasphemous really!...), you ended up in the 'Wine tent' since the tent you were in has closed for the night... 
Aftermath.
Between "Wiesn-ing" you should take in some proper sustenance. But you pretty much have to maintain some level of intoxication...
...be it through a 'Campari Orange', 'Averna Sour' or Linds' natural beauty, ahem, cleavage. :)
"I don't speak German, but I know how to tell you I have great cleavage in Bavarian"...
Before you know it, night will have fallen...

...and while the majestic lion continues to drink...
...you'll feel like going on some crazy ride...

Oh, you don't want to drop?! How about a spin?

I'm not one for crazy rides. Bumper cars & 'Wilde Maus' is about as crazy as I get...and my one regret; having never been on this magical ferris wheel...One day.
Of course, Wiesn is nothing without the right people. My cousin can always be relied on... (here we are figuring out what to text my uncle so Andi can stay to the bitter end!) 
When we figured it out. We look pretty chuffed with ourselves! (my uncle wasn't so impressed...)
But when you scored a spot directly in front of the music. You don't just go home!
I <3 ... Wiesn?!
Because before you know it, the lights on the 'Bavarians' Heaven' will dim for the final time...
...before the stars truly shine...
...as well as us...

...and we enjoy our last Wiesn Mass.
For 2013!!!

Thanks Linds, for being my non-stop Wiesn buddy, as well as getting Lisa on the team!
Wiesn Crew '13
Thankfully I was ultra busy this week, otherwise I would've suffered from the ultimate post-Oktoberfest blues...

That's all for today!
Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts