The wonderful world of publishing: 'Urbis' + Designday

In case you weren't aware, the Fräulein actually does more than just stuff herself with food (glorious food!) all day. Not a lot more, but something. 

I am in my second, and final semester of a post-graduate diploma in publishing. Fancy! Not really...This always makes me sound far more intelligent than I actually am, especially when people find out I am 21 and already at post-graduate level. But the truth is I was a bit of a naughty Fräulein and quit my bachelor of design. Actually, I can't really say naughty because I haven't regretted it so far. Questioned my decision? For sure! But never regretted. 

I have always loved to write, so although I don't aspire to lead a writer's life, I know I want to have something to do with it. Hence, publishing. So far I have rather enjoyed the diploma, in particular as I do it by correspondence. Although this means I essentially spend my weekdays locked in my room by myself all day, resisting the urge to check Facebook every five minutes, or have a snack...it does mean I can work at my own pace, which usually means I complete one weeks worth of work, in a day.

To balance this studious solitude I have also been interning with New Zealand's leading design magazine, which also happens to be my favourite -Urbis. SInce mid-October, every Tuesday I get to dress up (as in get out of my jamies...) and pretend I'm a important office lady! 


Today's post!
Actually, I don't just pretend, I do work hard. As the web-intern it has been my job to research, write and source images for anything my editor sends my way that she thinks would make appropriate online content for me to upload (obviously blogging experience helped with this). It has been an interesting and enriching experience. Initially I struggled with having my slaved over copies completely chopped and changed, in particular as the previous editor, whom I had done work experience for and had some pieces published with, accepted my copy as it was. Obviously I took myself very seriously as a writer...hah! Fortunately the Fräulein got over herself and realised just how lucky she was to work with the current editor. Originally a Kiwi, this editor was lured back to New Zealand after ten years in  New...YORK! Now that is fancy! She obviously knows her business, and I have learned a lot from her. Not least of all, to not be too precious about my writing.

In saying that, this is what I love this blog for. No editor, no word count, FREEDOM! 

As the Fräulein is moving back to Munich indefinitely...(more on this soon)...today was her last "official" day at the fabulous Urbis' office, hence why I felt the need to have a little moment of reflection. 

But before leaving the team, I get to finish on a high with the annual Urbis Designday coming up this Saturday! This is where numerous showrooms within the Auckland CBD collaborate with all sort creative practices (from fashion designers to art students, to architects) and create mind-blowing installations for you and me to enjoy. Here this year's collaborations. In case you haven't got your passes yet, get in quick because they are limited this year. 

A good night to you!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

PS: In case you wish to read some of the Fräulein's (slightly) more serious writing click here

Comments

Popular Posts