The return of Mama SoulFood

Mama SoulFood touched back down in Munich town a few weeks back now. Time has been flying by as I have been dividing it solely between work and Mama (and in the meantime - Papa!). 

I apologise to the friends that have been trying to catch up…but you must understand, Mama-time is of the utmost importance! I plan to spend every possible second with her while she is here.

Thankfully my love for Mama is easily combined with my love for good food, since this is also one of her passions. Like mother, like daughter…So on the day of her arrival, I took her to my current soulfood-favourites.

Stereo Cafe for lunch:




I've been here a couple of times now, and it was perfect every time! Delicious, fresh food, friendly service and a well-mixed crowd. Consistency also ranks highly in my books - hence why Stereo Cafe is a clear winner!

We started with a couple of their uniquely flavoured homemade lemonades: Lemon-basil and peach and Tonka bean. I didn't know what Tonka beans were (seeds from a flowering type of pea, used as a substitute for vanilla), so I thought I'd give it a try…
Can't say I loved it, I missed the vanilla flavour, but that's just my personal taste.

Food-wise I was more than pleased! Admittedly the goat cheese tart with walnuts, grapes and a raspberry dressing didn't look too pretty, but heck it tasted fabulous! 

I used to think no pastry could come close to the pastry my boss, Lynney, would make at the Teahouse. But I'm sorry to have to admit, that this almost came close!



Mama went for the curcuma burger which I had last time.




For my sweet treat I finished off with one of their classics - a Portuguese custard tartlet!


This time we sat at the bar floating along the floor-to-ceiling window which looks not only over the Residenzstrasse, but directly onto the 'Residenz Muenchen'. This was where the Bavarian Kings, Queens and other royals ruled and resided f
rom 1508-1918.

Two lions guard one of the many entries into the Residenz. These are known to be lucky lions, and a simple rub of the nose will ensure a new burst of luck. Since you can never have enough luck, we had to have a rub.


After dipping in and out of shops and general meandering through the old town, we rushed home to get ready for dinner at…

KALYPSO! :)

Unfortunately there was a bit of a mix up with our reservation, but the flavours of the collection of dishes we ordered to share more than made up for it. As did the numerous rounds of Ouzo and cheeky, young Greek service. 


Mama was instantly a fan!






Of course the artichoke was the recurring hero of our dishes. This one was even leafier and meatier than the last one.


Such beautiful chaos!





Once we had picked our way to the nest and emptied our glasses, we decided that we would never finish catching up in one night, and instead headed home for a blissful slumber.

Mama, it's bloody good to have you back! 

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts