The Emperor's new (Winter) clothes

After a fight, a funeral and getting sick, it was high time I had a visit from Papa SoulFood to look forward to! Papa knows how to perk up his Princess.

I'd had Wednesday and Thursday off work, and really should've stayed home on Friday as well...but since I didn't want to waste time in an doctor's office, and I am no longer used to lying around "doing nothing", I'd gotten sick of lying around being sick by Friday, so headed into work.

I caught up on some emails and research, but pretty soon a thumping headache kicked in and I was glad to grab my weekender and leave "early", (at 5pm...woahwoahwoah!) and catch my train to Austria.

Despite hang times with Papa, I was a little down on Friday night since I knew I would be missing out on my friend Anna's birthday party. But of course, everything was as it should be, since I really needed a weekend of just hanging out with the family, a spot of shopping, a catch up with Mother Nature and of course - soulfood! It just tastes better when someone else cooks for you, especially when that someone else is Oma.

What I was most looking forward to however, was seeing the "Wild Emperor" again. Particularly in his Winter robes. He's a stunner in Summer...



But there's nothing like a winterwonderland, where the landscape looks pristine after the muted autumnal-hues. Mountains were made to be powdered in snow. I must say I was disappointed when I took my first look out the window in the morning, since the Emperor was still sleeping!



Even when the sun finally began to tickle his toes, he was being a bit shy...





But it didn't take long before he finally crept out beneath his covers and really started showing off.


BAM! The moneyshot.

From every angle.


I was keen to get out into the sunshine, and recharge some serious vitamin D. Since we couldn't go skiing, shopping seemed like the next best option. Just like last time, we headed back into Kufstein, however as you will be able to tell compared to the pictures from last time, everything is just more glorious in the sunshine.





Even the landscape on the way there was gleaming.

Whoever built those powerlines there, needs a high-five, in the face.
We got home and enjoyed some leftovers from the night before.


Followed by this delicious 'Strudel'.



It's light and slightly crispy on the outside and densely rich on the inside. Since I am an inquisitive mind, I asked Oma what exactly the Strudel was stuffed with..."everything that was left over from Christmas baking". Aha. Well whatever it was, it was the perfect combination. 


Since I still hadn't had enough of that big, bright sphere in the sky, we had some soulfood to walk off, and a pair of new boots to walk in, I suggested a wander. 

My new babies from Mr. Hilfiger.
Papa joined and we had a much needed father-daughter "walk&talk". We have great conversations, the two of us. And he takes great photography directions! 

Glorious!

Papa was allowed in the photo too in the end...


Still shorter than him.
But only because I love him.

Oh yes I do!
I think his Papa got jealous, so I took a father-son pic of them. 


What never ceases to astound me, is how quickly the weather changes in the mountains. One minute there's not a cloud in the sky, the next it's like below, dreary and gray.  

Ah well, thankfully, some wonderful people built this monster to cheer us back up!

Wasn't quite sure where he was gonna stick that carrot first...
Good call Papa.
Rather chuffed with himself...Hehe!
When it got dark and moody outside, we headed back home. We could already see the smoke billowing out of the chimney and we were eager to bring our frozen limbs back to life beside the fire.


Luckily we had also worked up somewhat of an appetite, since Oma was already ready to go with dinner, which was thankfully just a salad.


I must admit though, salads don't taste as good anywhere as they do at Oma's house. Her secret? This home-infused vinegar...


 ...and a dollop of homemade apricot jam. 


So simple, but just pimps up those greens. Kind of like a Mary Poppins trick..."A spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down..." :)

When we woke up the next day, the weather was still dreary, but at least the curtains Mama picked out all those years ago provided a bright frame to the view.


We had our last of Oma's homecooking for the weekend, and she whipped up one of my favourites:

Smoked salmon, spinach and polenta filo Strudel.
with carrot salad.
Followed by cake with stracciatella yoghurt.


We left Oma & Opa's house stuffed and happy, and embarked on our journey back to Munich for the next food adventure.

Phew. Felt good to get that posted. Been missing my bloggy. As I am sure most of you were aware, it was Valentine's Day yesterday. And I'd safely say I got the best Valentine I could've wished for...a new home! 

So I must go pack up my things now for the third time in two months, and move! It's only until mid-July, but who's knows what will happen until then, and at least it takes the "homesearch" off the top of the "To do" list for a while. I can breathe again. :)

Hope you all got spoilt?!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts