Miss Lilly & the Fräuleins

Apart from making more time for myself again, one of my other New Year's resolution was to get back to exploring every nook and cranny of this city that I am still in love with. 

After almost 11 months (!!!) Munich and I are definitely over our honeymoon phase. We've had our ups and downs, a major down being the ridiculous flat/apartment situation here. I can't begin to describe how frustrating it is to have been born here and want to live here again, and not be able to because there just aren't enough homes for the people wanting to live here!

However, I am sorry to admit, I was beginning to take this city for granted. It wasn't til I thought I actually couldn't stay here that I began to realise how desperately I didn't want to leave.

Thankfully I had this little wake up call in time though! Munich's still got me buzzing, so it was time I reignited the spark, since there is still plenty this city can teach me! I've always wanted to know my birthcity like the back of my hand, so I am determined to explore and discover as much as I can, while I can.

Since it is more fun to go exploring with someone else, whom you can then discuss you're discoveries with, and since I am Fräulein SoulFood, the "best places to eat" seemed like a natural first point of discovery!

As it worked out, a couple of Mondays ago when I had already arranged a dinner date with my friend Caro, we had further reason to celebrate, as I signed my contract for my first "real job"! As...Junior Conceptioner. Yes, I realise it doesn't sound like a real job, but I promise you the work feels pretty real, but more on that another time. 

I had made Fräulein Caro a list of places I wanted to try, and she chose the lovely Miss Lilly's, and so the Fräulein's payed her a visit!



Upon arrival in the very dimply lit space we were enthusiastically greeted by the wait team of two.



Although the tables are packed together pretty snugly, and we felt a little like we ended up on an unexpected date with the two gents next to us, I kind of think Miss Lilly's is a perfect date spot. Not only is the lighting ultra flattering, and the collection of candles quite romantic. But the proximity of tables means that should you run out of conversation, you can just sit back and listen in on the chatter around you! 

The perfect cozy corner for a pre-date drink...
Even though Caro and I had plenty to catch up on, we also learned a lot about our neighbours. We are multitasking women after all! :)

After an initial 15 minute exchange (til we realised we actually had the entire evening to catch up...), we finally ordered. 

The menu isn't long, but what intruiged me about the place were the simple yet non-standard ingredient combinations. In the end I went for what seemed like simplest dish, the 'Risotto Nero with pesto'. Seemingly simple, because apparently risotto is pretty easy to mess up, or rather - difficult to perfect!


For my tastebuds, this was a perfect risotto -oozy but not mushy, with an unexpected depth of flavour, freshened up by the grassy herbiness from the pesto.


Caro's choice: roast potatoes with greens and a kind of tapenade didn't look too exciting, but also packed a punch in the flavour department.

Although she was struggling to concentrate on the food with such intriguing conversation on the next table...
Since dinner is never complete without dessert, I had already pre-checked and pre-decided what I would be having along with that celebratory glass of bubbles: this chocolate tart bad-boy!



I had spotted him in the cake cabinet when we arrived, and knew he would be mine by the end of the night, we were made for each other after all.

Caro had a piece of apple-cake, which was also tasty, but once again she was distracted by the table beside us...





Thankfully I managed to win back her attention with my wit and charm, which I suppose would be the ultimate date test wouldn't it?!

Since Miss Lilly's is just a 10 minute subway ride away from my new pad, and there is still an entire baking department to check out, I can imagine she will become one of my locals. But I I won't get too comfortable just yet, I still have an entire culinary landscape to explore in this city after all!

Thanks for a perfect evening Fräulein Caro!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts