Apartment Makeover - Part 1, Lounge

Hello friends, strangers and everything in between...Long time, no blog! What's new... ;)

The past year the Fraeulein has been preoccupied relocating her life back to Germany again (I know, who can keep up...) and making a new home (once again) in Munich's "little Bavarian sister", Nuernberg. 

Due to lockdown I have yet to discover much of the city, however in the meantime we have been preoccupied "making over" our "little home" - here's a sneak peek of today's transformation, the lounge:

For those who have visited, you'll know I am being sarcastic when I write little, because somehow despite only looking for a 2-3 bedroom apartment (because that's all we thought we could afford after becoming used to Munich and Auckland rents...) we ended up with a pretty grand 120sqm/5 room (excl. kitchen and bathroom) flat. This was the lounge:



I mean I love colour and green like the next person, but this was a very yellow-based green not so much to our liking...So fortunately our predecessor kindly painted the place white again prior to moving out - and there is nothing like an empty room and white walls to get the imagination flowing!

Now I would be lying if I said I hadn't though about decorating our home for months prior to having actually found a place, and the one thing I knew I would "have" to work with was my Mr's couch, a ginormous, grey, very blocky and modern one...


Due to the size of the sofa there was only one way it was going to fit and of course those "curtain" contraptions had to go as they were blocking all the light.


The ottoman also only made a brief appearance, as it filled the room with too many rectangles and took up too much space.

Now as I would be sharing this space with another human, I figured it only fair to have him express his taste too... 

Which considering we hadn't yet known each other very long, nor seen living spaces which were representative of each other's tastes (he had been living in the student apartments, I had been living back at home) neither of us really knew what that would look like.

So I asked him to show me some images of living spaces he found appealing so I could get a better idea of A) what his interior taste was like and B) how this was going to combine with the "boho/eclectic" vibe I was going for?

These were his (pretty tasteful!) images:




However, this was a bit more "mid-century" than I expected, but I figured as long as there was a Monsterra plant in the room he might be happy, but nothing like a moodboard to get a better idea of how things might work together...

Moodboard #1
After hours of trawling I had discovered the "inspo" image in the left upper corner on Pinterest and loved the idea of layered rugs. 

I also liked the eclectic mix of earthy tones and materials which made the space appear a bit more relaxed. 

I had also fallen in love with the emerald velvet IKEA wing chair, so somehow green/emerald was going to have to make an appearance in the room...and I had long ago decided one day I too would own THAT IKEA rattan lamp (yes I know, MANY people have it but it is just gorgeous!...) 



Here's how that translated into reality:




 





These images were taken at the end of summer, but it has been just as cozy during winter...


It has fast become one of our favourite corners of the place (I just accidentally wrote house, because that's actually what it feels like living here) 

But what about my partner's interior wishes? what happened to that Monsterra he longed for? Don't worry, he has his corner's on the other side...


There's our "Moni" as we lovingly refer to her as :) This was originally where I had planned the wing chair to go, however this is now in another room as we expect Moni to grow up big and strong so she gets her own corner, while on the other side is my Mr's record wall:


Of course, a room is never really "finished" and while there is no more furniture we want to add, I am still playing with paint in my head:

Perhaps a greyish/sagey green feature wall behind the couch?


Or rather a warm terracotta? I think I have a bit more pondering to do :)



The thing we could understand least about this space in the way it was used prior, was shutting the door through to the dining room as we love having the view through to the other side and the space feels twice the size, while still being cozy. 


But more on the guest room turned dining room next time...

Until then - yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments