The Power of People - A Reflection & Reminder for 2020

First up, I have decided to stop apologising on here for not keeping up with the blog, and instead celebrate the fact that I still manage to live life more in the moment, rather than spending every day, hour, or even minute snapping, posting or sharing my life through social media...

I am grateful for when I have the time to write and reflect here – however often that may be.

It has been yet another whirlwind year. And it is around this time of year I tend to get sentimental. Usually prior to Christmas already, however these past two weeks have been a culmination of craziness and rollercoaster emotions, which have only just come to a very sudden halt.

So sudden in fact, that I still feel winded by it all, and am only slowly catching my breath again.

For those who I haven't managed to update – here's a little throwback:

For several months, in the midst of yet another tropically rainy and depressing New Zealand winter, I dreamt about the mountains. If I have learned anything about myself since growing up in coastal New Zealand, it's that I am a mountain goat at heart, and to listen to my dreams.

So after some research, I came up with the plan to live in the Austrian mountains and work at a luxury hotel for the season, until spring/summer. Within six weeks I got the job, booked the one way ticket departing New Zealand, (once again) packed my life into a 23 kg strong suitcase, and rocked up for my first day.

My official role was “Food & Beverage Coordinator” and was explained to me as an admin/office position, along with playing hostess for guests in the evenings, and occasionally helping out in service during special events.

Unfortunately, for the entire two weeks of my trial period I didn't do a single task of my actual job description, and instead was rostered for every breakfast and dinner service – running around for a minimum of 10 hours a day. Not what I signed up for.

Now the fighter in me wanted to stick it out, especially as most of my colleagues were super lovely and I knew my leaving would leave them up shit creek. Unfortunately, other employees - who have perhaps worked there for too long, or are hurting too much - had developed a tone which to me was unnecessary and unacceptable. And all the same I realised: this was not my ship to try and save.


I decided long ago during my agency jobs - where even as an intern I would regularly stay in the office until 11pm - no job is worth my health or inner peace.

And so with that lesson learnt, and no guarantee of things changing anytime soon, I quit.
After a less than charming farewell from said colleagues, I knew I'd made the right decision.

While I regret that things ended this way and the job didn't work out, I also believe that there was a reason for all this.

Even though they weren't the things I came to learn, I learned more about humanity, business, and was once again reminded of the power of people - and the effects; positive and negative we have on one another. 

For that I am grateful, along with the handful of awesome colleagues turned friends (you know who you are!) and super lovely guests and owners I had the pleasure of meeting.

So as the new year – new decade even! - looms, and on paper I am unemployed, homeless & single – I thought I would be on the verge of a breakdown.

Now that may still be coming...or perhaps I really am maturing and growing wiser?! Hah! But all I can feel for the moment is liberated. For the first time in a long time I don't have a plan. And while I am not jumping for joy about it, some part of me knows this is exactly how it should be for the time being.

Because if there is one art I have mastered, it's starting over.

In saying this, as much as I consider myself a strong, intelligent, and independent woman...


...if the past two weeks have proven anything to me - while I know I could've done it all myself - I was humbled by how many true friends I could count, who not only provided moral support, but would've jumped in their cars or on planes (here's looking at you Mama Soulfood!) to rescue me!

And it brought home to me:

People are all we've got. They may often be the reason of our disappointment, sadness, regret or anger, but interactions with the right kind of people, are also what make life magical.


As I sit here at my grandad's place taking life day by day, I still don't know what I'll do, but whatever it turns out to be – I am sure it will be another great adventure with all my favourite people.

Wishing you all a magical and adventure filled 2020 with your people!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts