My Big Fat Greek Sailing Escape

As with most great adventures (such as last year's mid-winter camping & skiing escape), I couldn't have planned my Big Fat Greek Sailing Escape.

I had been to-ing and fro-ing about when to embark on my annual family/business catch up to Germany, and what European holiday destination to combine it with for a couple of weeks. My indecisiveness causing me more and more frustration by the day...

As much as I love the freedom and independence of singledom and solo travel - when it comes to making holiday memories: I feel they are best shared with spouses, family or friends.

I had set my heart on cycling from Munich to Venice. That seemed like a great challenge and the perfect mix of culture and exercise. Unfortunately, none of my friends seemed to agree, or already had other plans. (admittedly it probably is a bit of a crazy idea without any training whatsoever...but that never stopped me - still on the bucket list! :)

Finally I found someone as crazy as myself, but unfortunately Kathi wouldn't be able to join me until end of September, which was too late for me - there went that plan...

That's when Leni came back to me with her holiday plans for the summer: horse riding in Budapest and sailing in Greece.


I had been keen to explore Budapest, as I apparently have Hungarian gypsy blood running through my veins, and with a predisposition to seasickness (anyone who knows me knows I am also very prone to becoming "hangry"...) - clearly, horse riding was the more appealing option!

Until I learned that said horses were young stallions - and I haven't ridden in a few years...

Hmmm...could I really survive a week living & sleeping on a yacht when I had never spent more than an afternoon cruising around on one? 

I wouldn't know, if I didn't try - and so thanks to our awesome travel agent and friend, flights to Athens were booked at 9:30pm - just seven days prior to departure. 

A week and a lot of overtime later, I met Leni at Kalamaki harbour ready for our big fat Greek Sailing adventure! We were giddy with excitement - and from Greek wine...


Of course it wasn't just the two of us sailing the Hesiodos, a 52 foot, 4-cabin yacht. There were nine of us in total, ranging from 15 to 72 years old all related or befriended in some way, with Leni and her family.


A couple of our fellow crew who were driving from Germany to Greece got a bit lost and delayed along the way. So after our first “crew” dinner on the beach, consisting of feta-stuffed squid, washed down with Greek wine and a most glorious sunset, we spent the first night in Kalamaki Harbour. 





By lunchtime the following day, we had set sail and were off! But off to where?


I literally had no idea what I had let myself in for: would we be sailing non-stop? Stop somewhere? If so, where?

As nobody was keen on keeping Anchor-night-watch, we moored in harbours each night.

With the 34 degree heat, we were often under deck when we rocked into our mooring spot for the night, and since I didn't manage to learn to read Greek in a week, I only just managed to "retrace" our tour - I think we sailed something like this:


Starting with Agistri, with a beautiful restaurant tucked into the hill overlooking the harbour (our yacht, the Hesiodos in centre)...


The sea...


...and another spectacular grecian sunset.


The next day we sailed on to beautiful, buzzing Poros.


Our fourth night was spent in Vathi on Methana, where we literally hopped from our boat into the taverna (and back again once we had feasted...)


Then it was on to Epidaurus where Leni and the others checked out another amphitheater (I'd had enough ancient rocks at the Acropolis on my first night in Athens).


For our last night “aboard” we almost had to anchor, as the port we had planned to moor in was packed. But fortunately we still found a spot in Aigina.


Poros was definitely my favourite of all the places we visited – which is why Poros will get its own special post next time :)

Until then - yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts