Sydney - Part 2, Paddington, An Icon & West Side Story

Full disclosure: apart from a much overdue catch up with Sabrina and other friends, I was also in Sydney for "research" purposes...

You see, after almost three years back in New Zealand since moving back from Munich, the Fraeulein has been getting itchy feet again! So I was actually researching whether or not I could imagine living in Sydney...

Since the thought had crossed my mind, I have quizzed every Sydney-sider who happened to cross my path, which neighbourhood they could imagine me living in...

After a few reckoned Paddington, I figured that would be a great place to start exploring! So after an early morning ferry ride from Manly back to Circular Quay, I meandered over to Paddington. 

Since this was a 4km / hour long "meander" - I was ready for breakfast once I got there...



Don't be silly - of course I had a delish panini prior to the Portuguese custard tart! ;)

I had a couple of options in mind, but the locals literally sitting outside on the pavement to enjoy their morning espresso, had me convinced that Alimentari was the right choice - a beautifully authentic Italian delicatessen and cafe (incl. Portuguese custard tarts).

Reinvigorated, I criss-crossed through the quaint neighbourhood, soaking up the late summer sunshine. As beautiful as it was, it was just a bit too close, too dark & too quiet for the Fraulein...



With that decided, I made my way down toward Rushcutters Bay for some reflection, where I stumbled upon this beauty of a tree...



...before looping back up to St Mary's Cathedral.



With the late summer sun still piercing down, I was beginning to fade, so decided to cool down with a wander in the Art Gallery of New South Wales. There I was quickly reminded of home:


Before moving back out doors to the real pièce de résistance:



No matter what angle you have the privilege of admiring it from, there is just something about those playful arches of the (over 40 year old) Sydney Opera House - particularly against a Sydney blue sky!



Now as Sabrina had forgotten she had a date - with John Mayer - that evening, I had committed to some musical entertainment of my own.

But not before stopping by another friend's office for an after work aperitivo. It just so happens that this friend is a product developer for Pernod Ricard...

In a nutshell: she conceptualises & creates your new favourite alcoholic drink - and yes, she gets paid for that! 

After catching up and "testing" her latest concoctions, it was time to grab some sushi rolls for a quick dinner with a most delightful view:



Followed by dessert, in position and ready to watch West Side StoryNow before I throw in my 2 cents worth on the musical, I have to tell you about the most decadent chocolate mousse topped with a peanut butter cream & brownie crumble.

In fact, it was so epic, that the couples sat either side of me (yay...) got such food envy, they each ended up getting their own mousse - to share. I got mine all too myself - turns out there are definitely perks to being single! ;)




Now to the musical itself: while I assume that being perched over the Sydney Harbour as it is - it will be the most spectacular location of any show I will ever see, I was a teeny, tiny bit disappointed about the musical side of it...

Apart from the orchestral sound just not carrying enough over the ocean breeze, I have to admit, in my heady decision to snap up a ticket the night before - I hadn't done my research properly...and in my mind, had gotten West Side Story mixed up with Billy Elliot! 

So here I was expecting somewhat of an upbeat performance, and of course, it was all doom & gloom, as West Side Story is essentially an americanised Romeo & Juliet. Oops.

Ah well, you live and you learn - fortunately I made the last ferry back to Manly to Sabrina's place, to catch up on some z's prior to our next (mountain) adventure...

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts