Queen of Swedish flower crowns

As you will hopefully remember, I was in Stockholm a couple of weeks ago. There I had a most wonderful time (part I & part II), and a magical make-belief Midsommar

Since I have such an obsession with all things Swedish, including IKEA (I've been collecting the catalogues since 2002...), jam on cheese and boiled potatoes with herring, as well as the tradition of Midsommar, I've long been convinced that I must actually have some Swedish in me...

Now, it is proven, I really am Swedish. Why? Because not only does my head seem to suit the Midsommar flower crowns particularly well, but I actually rule at making them! Seeeee...



Why was I practicing making flower crowns? Because my friend Sarah is getting married in October, and after she saw this photo:


She was inspired to have a floral wreath as her wedding hair feature! I already offered to do her hair for her best friend's wedding, but after a disastrous trial, we both agreed she should just leave it natural...

Sarah is a very natural beauty, and a bit of a flower-child so when she pitched the idea to me that she'd like one for her own wedding I was instantly excited! I think flower crowns were made for wedding hair, since the crowns came about with the tradition of collecting seven types of flowers in the Midsommar night to sleep on and dream about a future husband! Considering how the last trial went though, I was slightly nervous about making my first flower crown, since I'd only watched Jeanna make one once. But you don't know 'til you try, so in I launched...


The trickiest thing is actually to get the right combination of flowers, so that the wreath has a decent stability. If it's too skinny it wont hold its shape, and if it's too fat or rather the stalks too chunky, you wont be able to bend it, or it will just snap (happened several times...).


I ended up making two. The first is the one I am wearing above, and although pretty, we thought it would overpower the dress, so I also made a more delicate one.


The second one was almost perfect! I made it slightly too big, since I based it on the size of the first one, but obviously it didn't end up being that fat...Sarah looked like a natural princess. I would love to show you a picture, but I decided to save that for October. :)

I must admit, I reeeeaaaally loved making these crowns, just doing something crafty with my hands is such a welcome change from hacking on the keyboard...I always thought that when I retire from my "real" job, I would open a little florist shop to keep my days busy. 

I have a interview for an internship at a PR Event/Live-communication company (bit of a change from publishing I know, more about that another time!), so I hope it goes well, but should it not, perhaps I'll just start life as a florist a little sooner than expected...


Because I really wouldn't mind if my table always looked like this.
At least a new hobby I'll pursue for now!

Yours truly,
Fräulein SoulFood x

Comments

Popular Posts